Toronto 1540 Bloor West | 91.9m | 27s | Trinity Group | IBI Group

At no point in this or any other discussion, have I suggested that. What I was saying was that for this site, in particular, the street level treatment was more important than the overall design of the building.

Previously:

It is the street levels of any building that impacts on peoples' everyday lives. The overall design is more of an academic discussion with little impact.

Maybe I overstated your dismissal when I said "total", but this is a pretty significant dismissal — "academic", "little impact". And it seems pretty generalized — "of any building that impacts on peoples' everyday lives".

Can I call it a strong dismissal? Medium dismissal?

Or will that lead to another page of defensive arguing about how everyone's criticisms of you are wrong and you said everything perfectly all while you make new sarcastic and kinda hostile posts full of assumptions about people such as people not knowing the area as well as you do or pro-density forum posters being NIMBY and behaving just like a NIMBY would just because they disagreed with your simplistic take?

Going to sign out of this thread for now — this discussion clearly isn't productive and is even more of a banal drag than the architecture of the proposed building, all the best everyone.

Previously:

Maybe I overstated your dismissal when I said "total", but this is a pretty significant dismissal — "academic", "little impact". And it seems pretty generalized — "of any building that impacts on peoples' everyday lives".

Can I call it a strong dismissal? Medium dismissal?

Or will that lead to another page of defensive arguing about how everyone's criticisms of you are wrong and you said everything perfectly all while you make new sarcastic and kinda hostile posts full of assumptions about people such as people not knowing the area as well as you do or pro-density forum posters being NIMBY and behaving just like a NIMBY would just because they disagreed with your simplistic take?

Going to sign out of this thread for now — this discussion clearly isn't productive and is even more of a banal drag than the architecture of the proposed building, all the best everyone.

I have not resorted to calling anybody names and insulting them as others (including you) have done. And I don't believe that I have been overly defensive In my posts (but accept that others may read them differently). I have tried to make clear what I see as positive about this proposal while others have criticized it without any specifics.

So, for the benefit of newbies like me, could someone go into specifics about what's horrible about the proposal?

So, for the benefit of newbies like me, could someone go into specifics about what's horrible about the proposal?
I think it looks like they gave up doing something unique and interesting to appease the objections of some local residences. And submitted something entirely generic and Disneyfied instead. As I also suspect the developers are quite happy about this...because if approved, they can use the cheapest materials in building this (read: lots of grey spandrel). And thus, Bob's their uncle...

Mr. Towered again a page over or two, had the best take on this, IMO.

From Giraffe to now, it's basically:

0b0

From a horse's ass to a horse designed by a committee? Or vice versa?

I have not resorted to calling anybody names and insulting them as others (including you) have done. And I don't believe that I have been overly defensive In my posts (but accept that others may read them differently). I have tried to make clear what I see as positive about this proposal while others have criticized it without any specifics.

Hey @Jimto, I'd like to genuinely apologize for what I said and how I said it. I was being too intense and unkind and reacting badly. And much of what I was saying as criticism of you applies to me — it takes more than one to argue after all and I was definitely crossing over into being rude, in particular in my last post.

By saying that your point was silly originally, which set things off badly, I was just trying to in a light way be like "I get where you're coming from but you're taking this kinda a bit too far". But I didn't need to say it in that way and I can see how it would be insulting how I said it and if I'm going to start off like that — even if it was meant in a light way — I can't really complain if you don't take it well or come back strongly at me.

I was getting heated and frustrated from the assumptions you made about me and how you assigned me motivations and opinions based on those assumptions, and then from what I felt was a moving of the goalposts about what you originally said — which is what people were reacting so strongly to in the first place — and pivoting away from fair criticism through that or by making assumptions about peoples positions on things or knowledge of the area. But despite that, it's not an excuse for me to be unkind. I'm sorry and hopefully I can help shift this discussion back to a more respectful place of understanding and back to the substance of the question and engage with that without being heated and rude. Very sorry about before.

-----

I think there were kind of three layers of why people were reacting badly to what you were saying:

- I think to many of us the building seems obviously junky and uninspired, and doesn't feel like something that needs to be expanded on in our reactions to it, but I can imagine this just seems like subjective bashing or even possibly reactionary groupthink if you don't share the same priorities or aesthetic preferences, or if you thought the criticism was coming from an anti-development motivation.

- Your point that the street experience being really the only thing that matters and architectural design otherwise not mattering was, to me, overstated and reductive leading to a polarized zero-sum kind of discussion and set the conversation off in a unproductive way due to how absolute it was and how it dismissed quite strongly things other people value — and that in particular isn't going to go over well on a forum full of people really into architecture haha 😅 and with people who are often depressed or jaded seeing the (what is at least perceived as) low standards of architectural quality in our city.

- Accepting that premise that it's only really the street level that matters primarily and the rest doesn't really matter much, the ground level of this and what it offers to the public realm doesn't even seem that good to me, and the rest of the building's mediocrity being justified or excused by having a small sliver of the sidewalk cut out seems like a despair-inducing situation where we are bargaining for the most bare minimum of things with development in this city and justifying the low-quality work because, well, it could be worse, we could not have a tiny little triangle of space.

However, things are subjective, and it's possible that we are overreacting and the building isn't so bad — but I do kinda think it's bad, or at least it's just completely emblematic of the cheap generic mediocrity that is common and the lack of effort and care put into the architectural expression of a lot of developments that we see. While I wasn't even particularly in the first place commenting myself on the quality of the building, just commenting on the absolutism of the idea of street level being >>>>>>> than everything else to the point of the everything else basically not mattering (I agree street level is incredibly important and often neglected, but that doesn't mean neglecting other things is good either), since you are asking why people don't like it, I will try to give a picture of why I personally think this design isn't that great:

I don't mind the massing too much, and I like the angles on the corner. I think it has good presence, but the rest seems like a bit of a jumble of snap-together budget-bin building components. The big thing that stands out to me right away is the seemingly significant surfaces in prominent locations that are likely to end up messy spandrel-checkered window wall. Possibly it could be alright and be done crisp and clean, but I'm nervous.

The articulation of the design of the building throughout, but in particular how it resolves at the top also just seems like it lacks coherence and isn't really doing anything architecturally but the most bland paint-by-numbers condo style roof that seems to primary serve to hide or distract from mechanical stuff in the easiest way possible. I just think upper floors of towers done like this are messy, extremely mid and generic at best, and lacking in architectural expression or even good solid geometric form.

Of course these things are extremely subjective and you're right that in many ways they don't matter to the same degree as how the building works and works in particular on the street, but I think it's also important we at least try as a culture to have standards of effort for buildings, especially big ones since they make such an impact on the city and for a very long time.

An interesting juxtaposition in that context is its neighbour across the street — a lot of people hate Crossways, and it is a very flawed building, in particular its awful street level. But some people love Crossways too — people have even made a t-shirt of it! Because like it or hate it, Crossways is at least going for something architecturally, even just at the level of plain compelling geometry or texture of materiality. By contrast I think it's very hard to imagine in 50 years someone making a t-shirt of this building.

Last edited:
I second pretty much everything @concrete_and_light said above, and also wow I kind of love that Crossways shirt?! Plenty wrong with Crossways, but you can't deny that it's iconic.

And @Jimto, I was also getting a little aggressive upthread and I apologize for that! From now on, I'll assume good faith, and we can agree to disagree on the design.

@concrete_and_light @smably Thank you for your comments. I think we all fell into the trap of what occasionally make these discussion forums appear more hostile than they really are. Also, I am relatively new to this forum (certainly in number of posts) compared to yourselves and maybe don't fully appreciate the "tone" of it yet.

With regards to this project, I believe, in fact, we agree on more than we disagree. My "fixation" on the street level and corner came across more strongly than I actually feel about it and I fully accept that was my fault.

If nothing else, let's accept that we are all interested enough in architecture, planning and Toronto to debate these topics.

Hey @Jimto, I'd like to genuinely apologize for what I said and how I said it. I was being too intense and unkind and reacting badly. And much of what I was saying as criticism of you applies to me — it takes more than one to argue after all and I was definitely crossing over into being rude, in particular in my last post.

By saying that your point was silly originally, which set things off badly, I was just trying to in a light way be like "I get where you're coming from but you're taking this kinda a bit too far". But I didn't need to say it in that way and I can see how it would be insulting how I said it and if I'm going to start off like that — even if it was meant in a light way — I can't really complain if you don't take it well or come back strongly at me.

I was getting heated and frustrated from the assumptions you made about me and how you assigned me motivations and opinions based on those assumptions, and then from what I felt was a moving of the goalposts about what you originally said — which is what people were reacting so strongly to in the first place — and pivoting away from fair criticism through that or by making assumptions about peoples positions on things or knowledge of the area. But despite that, it's not an excuse for me to be unkind. I'm sorry and hopefully I can help shift this discussion back to a more respectful place of understanding and back to the substance of the question and engage with that without being heated and rude. Very sorry about before.

-----

I think there were kind of three layers of why people were reacting badly to what you were saying:

- I think to many of us the building seems obviously junky and uninspired, and doesn't feel like something that needs to be expanded on in our reactions to it, but I can imagine this just seems like subjective bashing or even possibly reactionary groupthink if you don't share the same priorities or aesthetic preferences, or if you thought the criticism was coming from an anti-development motivation.

- Your point that the street experience being really the only thing that matters and architectural design otherwise not mattering was, to me, overstated and reductive leading to a polarized zero-sum kind of discussion and set the conversation off in a unproductive way due to how absolute it was and how it dismissed quite strongly things other people value — and that in particular isn't going to go over well on a forum full of people really into architecture haha 😅 and with people who are often depressed or jaded seeing the (what is at least perceived as) low standards of architectural quality in our city.

- Accepting that premise that it's only really the street level that matters primarily and the rest doesn't really matter much, the ground level of this and what it offers to the public realm doesn't even seem that good to me, and the rest of the building's mediocrity being justified or excused by having a small sliver of the sidewalk cut out seems like a despair-inducing situation where we are bargaining for the most bare minimum of things with development in this city and justifying the low-quality work because, well, it could be worse, we could not have a tiny little triangle of space.

However, things are subjective, and it's possible that we are overreacting and the building isn't so bad — but I do kinda think it's bad, or at least it's just completely emblematic of the cheap generic mediocrity that is common and the lack of effort and care put into the architectural expression of a lot of developments that we see. While I wasn't even particularly in the first place commenting myself on the quality of the building, just commenting on the absolutism of the idea of street level being >>>>>>> than everything else to the point of the everything else basically not mattering (I agree street level is incredibly important and often neglected, but that doesn't mean neglecting other things is good either), since you are asking why people don't like it, I will try to give a picture of why I personally think this design isn't that great:

I don't mind the massing too much, and I like the angles on the corner. I think it has good presence, but the rest seems like a bit of a jumble of snap-together budget-bin building components. The big thing that stands out to me right away is the seemingly significant surfaces in prominent locations that are likely to end up messy spandrel-checkered window wall. Possibly it could be alright and be done crisp and clean, but I'm nervous.

The articulation of the design of the building throughout, but in particular how it resolves at the top also just seems like it lacks coherence and isn't really doing anything architecturally but the most bland paint-by-numbers condo style roof that seems to primary serve to hide or distract from mechanical stuff in the easiest way possible. I just think upper floors of towers done like this are messy, extremely mid and generic at best, and lacking in architectural expression or even good solid geometric form.

Of course these things are extremely subjective and you're right that in many ways they don't matter to the same degree as how the building works and works in particular on the street, but I think it's also important we at least try as a culture to have standards of effort for buildings, especially big ones since they make such an impact on the city and for a very long time.

An interesting juxtaposition in that context is its neighbour across the street — a lot of people hate Crossways, and it is a very flawed building, in particular its awful street level. But some people love Crossways too — people have even made a t-shirt of it! Because like it or hate it, Crossways is at least going for something architecturally, even just at the level of plain compelling geometry or texture of materiality. By contrast I think it's very hard to imagine in 50 years someone making a t-shirt of this building.
Hey @concrete_and_light, normally I only upvote posts to thanks members for making them, but that'd post-of-the-month if we had such a thing, so thanks!

Meanwhile, if you like the Crossways t-shirt, you might also want the Crossways enamel pin from the same company!
image_d3c54e6a-7e18-43ad-b142-dc690483f6e6_1024x1024.jpg

(and both the pin and the t-shirt are currently on sale!)

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the Bloor-Dundas Avenue Study (2008-09), which the local residents are using for their development guidelines, mentions the presence of Crossways and then pretty much goes on to ignore it. It is referred to as an "anomaly within the study area" (page 36). Like it or not, it is hard to ignore and surely a balanced study should take it into account?

Last edited:

Back