Toronto 1500 Bayview | 32.09m | 8s | Medallion | BDP Quadrangle

I have actually explained how to calculate ground-level wind and shadow impacts on this forum and linked people to modeling tools.

You would do well to tone down the snark and do some reading.

The issue is not any height over 8 storeys on a single site. You advocated for unlimited height with zero setbacks absolutely everywhere.

That's exactly, clearly what you said.

I took the time to thoughtfully explain to you why a decision was arrived at on a given site, with no snark or rudeness, this was met, on your part with endless hyperbole and rudeness.

I'm a nice guy, but for you.........you're on ignore.
That’s exactly, clearly what you said…

Reactions: PL1
How odd..........

No indication of any permits applied for, let alone issued, not even the demo.

Why shutter a successful business if you're not ready to go?

Here, they're closing June 29, near end of quarter,... so it's likely their lease expiry was coming up,... commercial lease are generally in multiples of 5 year terms. While they likely could have renewed on a yearly basis going forward, rental cost could have increased due to land-value/redevelopment in area. Also, it's a lot tougher for most businesses to be profitable now,.. since minimum wage has increased (see graph) dramatically over the last few years. So their profit margins are likely being squeezed on both sides,...
1718318761275.png

Here, they're closing June 29, near end of quarter,... so it's likely their lease expiry was coming up,... commercial lease are generally in multiples of 5 year terms. While they likely could have renewed on a yearly basis going forward, rental cost could have increased due to land-value/redevelopment in area.

This part seems plausible; though speculative.

Also, it's a lot tougher for most businesses to be profitable now,.. since minimum wage has increased (see graph) dramatically over the last few years. So their profit margins are likely being squeezed on both sides,...
View attachment 572208

This part I have a problem with..............

First off, there have been intermittent wage freezes, which one can see reflected above.

We all know CPI is under-stated, because it weights housing at ~25%, when for most people's basket of expenses its closer to 40%. Notwithstanding that, CPI tracked by the Bank of Canada
is ~21% from 2018

That would give a minimum wage of $16.94 per hour today if it kept pace with CPI, which given the increase proposed for Oct to $17.20 would seem to be just about on track.

However, taking a more realistic weighting of housing (housing cost inflation is an interesting bit of calculus, but by any measure, it shows a significantly higher number than general CPI)

If you weight that, you would get inflation of at least ~25% over the same period, which would give you a minimum of $17.50 per hour.

Moreover, a fairer way to look at this would be to compare to peer jurisdictions in the U.S. or Australia or elsewhere and see where their minimum wages are in comparable larger, higher cost cities.

So lets's note that Seattle and San Fran, very comparable to Toronto overall in terms of cost of living, but with higher average incomes, have minimum wages of $19.97USD and $20USD per hour, which work out to roughly $27.50CAD per hour. There does not seem to be an epidemic of bankrupt businesses in these jurisdictions.

Even NYC at $15USD per hour works out to $20.62 CAD

I would argue higher minimum wages actually benefit staple and entry-level market sellers as they lift purchasing power of the customer, and therefore increase average basket size.

So lets's note that Seattle and San Fran, very comparable to Toronto overall in terms of cost of living, but with higher average incomes, have minimum wages of $19.97USD and $20USD per hour, which work out to roughly $27.50CAD per hour. There does not seem to be an epidemic of bankrupt businesses in these jurisdictions.

Even NYC at $15USD per hour works out to $20.62 CAD
Just a quibble that you can't factor in the exchange rate for these sorts of comparisons. They're paid in USD, but all their expenses are also USD. That comparison works only if they earn in USD, but spend in CAD, which obviously isn't the case.

The correct comparison is the ratio between average salary and average cost of living for both jurisdictions (assuming the different baskets of goods are comparable). i.e. how far does $15, $20/hour, etc in local currency go in each jurisdiction.

Which doesn't take away from your point and even reinforces it. But a wrinkle nevertheless.

Back