Toronto 150 Symes Road | ?m | 2s

Junction Craft opened today, so I went to buy some beer. The office entrance looks fantastic:

IMG_0366.jpg

The customer entrance for Junction Craft is around the back via the parking lot, which is not great I guess but it's not like the rest of the Stockyards is pedestrian-friendly anyway, so.

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg

There's also a one-story outbuilding behind the main Destructor building, which I never realized. It's also been cleaned up nicely and is for lease.
IMG_0368.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 540
GASP! Wow. Simply WOW.

I used to work there and loved those port hole windows! Does anyone know if they kept/refurbished the scale? I'd also be curious to understand the reasoning behind putting the crane operator cab outside given it's a big part of the heritage of this site and now exposed to the elements.

Which section of the building was the crane in @panaluu? Junction Brewing has just over half of the lower floor (behind the large glass openings in photo #2 from the post above), while an event venue called The Symes has the remainder of the lower floor plus he entire upper floor. If it was in one of The Symes two spaces, I suppose there are no other traces left of where it might have been as the two rooms have been stripped down to the walls. They are quite gorgeous rooms, I suspect that the event venue will do very well…

In any case, they must feel that with little enough maintenance they'll be able to keep the cab looking good where they've moved it now.

The crane ran the length of the upper floor. It ran on rails along the ceiling. The interior had been altered significantly by the time I worked because it had been decommissioned as an incinerator and was being used as a transfer station but the claw was still in operation. Both the crane and the scale in there were very old and took a huge amount of skill to run. It finally got shut down when the scale operator retired.

TheSymes_CityofToronto_1934_Interior-1024x758.jpg

Which section of the building was the crane in @panaluu? Junction Brewing has just over half of the lower floor (behind the large glass openings in photo #2 from the post above), while an event venue called The Symes has the remainder of the lower floor plus he entire upper floor. If it was in one of The Symes two spaces, I suppose there are no other traces left of where it might have been as the two rooms have been stripped down to the walls. They are quite gorgeous rooms, I suspect that the event venue will do very well…

In any case, they must feel that with little enough maintenance they'll be able to keep the cab looking good where they've moved it now.

The developer who demolished the 19th-century Canadian Pacific roundhouse in the Stock Yards for the Rona preserved the turntable and operator's cab, but Rona has done no maintenance on this piece of history. It's literally rotting away in their parking lot.

These kinds of preservation gestures require sympathetic owners. Obviously, the current owner is sympathetic given the venerable restoration of the building. But ownership can change over time.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-4_10-46-52.png
    upload_2018-2-4_10-46-52.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 493
  • upload_2018-2-4_10-47-14.png
    upload_2018-2-4_10-47-14.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 516
  • upload_2018-2-4_10-47-47.png
    upload_2018-2-4_10-47-47.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 542

Back