Toronto 1293 Bloor West | 104.6m | 28s | RioCan | Kirkor Architects

Indeed! Of course you got me searching for a pic, and lo and behold, the one that comes up was posting right at here at UT, by @vic in the 1319 Bloor thread.

View attachment 460131

Not a head-on view, but the signage is clear enough, along with an exposed cinder-block south elevation.

The bank on the corner is nothing grand, but certainly better than what replaced it. Also of note, in looking the photo over, is that movie theatre. I'm quite sure that now molested building standing there is one and the same; well, rather heavily altered:

This is the current building taken from the rear/east:

View attachment 460132

Looks like a building form for a stage/fly area.
Movie theatre, large grocery store, handsome heritage building at the corner, streetcars trundling happily up and down Lansdowne's cobblestoned street, gorgeous 50's cars...boy did we ever **** up this area.

Hey @vic, @Sonanta, how did the meeting go?
I was there. No new designs were presented as the proponents had just gotten feedback from the city a day or two before, so this was mostly about answering questions and hearing from the neighbours. There were a few people in attendance who seemed really upset about the height and density, but also some supportive comments. Some questions about the outdoor program (it is proposed as a private amenity space and would be fenced off, unfortunately). A lot of focus on replacement of the existing rental units, many of which are occupied by artists. The current building is an old brick and beam factory with high ceilings, and the rental replacement units would be very different in character and not suitable for the current occupants. RioCan is proposing some artist-focused amenities (crafting/maker space), but likely some changes will be made as the design is refined. The footprint of the new tower doesn't overlap with the existing building, so I asked why the existing building couldn't be preserved and was told that it would be too hard to bring it up to code. Some questions about street trees on Bloor, likely not possible due to utility conflicts.

Back