Caledon 12599 Highway 50 | 105.4m | 32s | Verdi Alliance | SRN Architects Inc.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New huge proposal in Bolton of all places. Up to 32 storeys, 2,229 units. This is in the middle of an industrial park and replaces a bunch of existing open storage uses.. so it's an interesting location to say the least.

12599 Highway 50.png

Site plan is available here:

Boy! do they really push density in every sector of the golden horseshoe ! Wow!!
I guess it's because it is near to the future 427 and 413 intersection .

I would suggest 'comical' over interesting.

Perhaps even bizarre.

Typically in Employment/Industrial land conversions it happens from the fringes of an area inwards.
A developer will pick off a pocket next to existing SFH or farmland at the edge of the industrial lands which allows ample room to buffer a site, and which means there is no incompatibility (at least at the same level) on 2 or 3 sides of a proposal).
Here, this site is surrounded by light industry/warehouse and barren retail, with no residential particularly close by.
The site certainly isn't small, but at first blush not large enough to support the suite of services residents would desire, ranging from grocery to childcare to a library to a park or a school etc etc.

If this site is going to go, then a large chunk of that area will have to go with it, I think, and that should be the subject of a very large planning exercise, one that also answers the question of where the businesses will be relocating.

Last edited:
If this site is going to go, then a large chunk of that area will have to go with it, I think, and that should be the subject of a very large planning exercise, one that also answers the question of where the businesses will be relocating.
That isn't too unforeseeable though, is it?

SmartCentres owns the lands to the north and around the southern frontage of the rail corridor, and barring questions regarding employment lands, the parcels to the north along the eastern side of Queen Street probably have a higher use as a mixed-use corridor connecting to downtown Bolton (which could also be intensified from it's current surface-parking oriented commercial built form).

I'm more surprised that Metrolinx is planning to put the GO station on the far side of Bolton instead of on Queen Street / Highway 50 near the SmartCentres lands. Perhaps that was motivated due it being easier/more aligned with policy to pave over greenfields instead of converting employment lands, but I would welcome a rethink to that.

That's totally great how the four of them are skinny-dipping in a glass-sided infinity pool overlooking an industrial wasteland. (Well, I suppose the strange industrial locale has more to do with the whole of the project than it does just with the 'dippers per se…)

1629312420879-png.342426

Back