Toronto 1250 Eglinton West | 76.9m | 25s | CreateTO | DTAH

I'm really glad to see this site was revised to a more helpful density that reflects its location. I hope we can see a better integration on this site with the coming crosstown station entrance, but seeing as how Metrolinx remains steadfast in their insistance to retain entrances, I'm not sure how this is possible. I can understand why they want to ensure their own station entrances sre built across the network, but it's a hinderance to developers when having to design around a static piece of infrastructure in an important part of a site.

Ty for covering this @HousingNowTO

Thoughts so far: I like the overall scale, though the expression is a tad boxy.

I feel like they somehow need to hide the cantilever, it just looks weird. You could extend the building to grade around the shelter in a non-structural way........(ie. not supporting the tower form)

It really needs a bit more colour. But overall, I like the ambition. I don't see any changes required that would material $$$.

Just some refined stylistic choices.
You should really listen to the DESIGN REVIEW PANEL questions, comments (and votes) on the YouTube above...

The vote of the panel was 6-2 Non-Support.

I was pleased to see broad concurrence with my own take; Ralph Giannone was asking many of the same questions as I about enclosing the station box to bring some coherence to the design; while others were
for just ditching the cantilever by pushing the tower form east so as to keep the station box in the open and lower construction costs.

There was a consensus, I think, that aside from the station box being rather pedestrian, that the relatively narrow spaces around it, between the current entrance and the proposed building would not be pleasant and might be unsafe from a pedestrian perspective; (narrow, out of the sight of the street, non-animated building edges) and that the pedestrian space next to the Allen on-ramp would not be safe without some type of protection (bollards, guardrails, rocks etc.)

Ralph was speaking my language when he suggested just buying the 7 houses to the north of the site so that the entire block could be built out more sensibly, at lower cost, perhaps greater density and with larger public realm benefits.

That thought was concurred with by another member of the panel as well. One comment also highlighted that the podium is simply too visually large and requires breaking up a la Mirvish Village (my example).

Overall, I thought the panel hit the nail on the head.

The P3 process and Mx/Crosstown completely muffed the way the entrances were done, not planning for integrated development. Those working on this proposal made a sincere effort to maximize public gain on a constrained site.

While better may be possible within the existing lands available; the best option, ideally is adding more land to the north to allow for an easier and better laid out build.

This really speaks to my frustration with many of the Housing Now sites and CreateTO/the City's take on how to lay them out.

@HousingNowTO and I have had extensive discussions, in the open here, and privately on the foolish way in which 1631 Queen East was laid out, the failure to expropriate the Harvey's, the failure to integrate a plan for the TCHC property and the Health Clinic and to create something that could have delivered more housing, renewed existing TCHC and been, perhaps, slightly less controversial by re-shaping the plan. We've discussed the challenges, that due to cumbersome TCHC revitalization processes, and the time lags involved in expropriation; but at the end of the day, the proposal designed to move forward more quickly has not, and probably won't, either because of an OLT appeal; or economic non-viability or both.

The City/CreateTO folks need to be tasked clearly with ambitious City Building, given the right tools and processes to achieve same, and not asked to design around bad planning, bad processes and needless timidity.

Edit to add: My comments above will very much apply to the Swansea Mews site now up for total redevelopment. If what's proposed leaves too many of the existing SFH in place, the proposal will be less tall and dense than it ought to be and the public benefits in connectivity and parks will be lower too. Ambition, ambition, ambition!

Last edited:
Dream world goofiness. Ain't *nobody* doing that kind of cantilever for 25 storeys. It's absurd that these two uses are so fastidiously being kept separate. Also, incredible (or maybe not) that in their 'precedent' slide, they're using OMA's Cornell Architecture building - something that could not have more divergent costing than this theoretical idea. Kinda shocking that 20 years into this cycle, some architects still don't understand the economics of their job. Utter goofballery...

Dream world goofiness. Ain't *nobody* doing that kind of cantilever for 25 storeys. It's absurd that these two uses are so fastidiously being kept separate. Also, incredible (or maybe not) that in their 'precedent' slide, they're using OMA's Cornell Architecture building - something that could not have more divergent costing than this theoretical idea. Kinda shocking that 20 years into this cycle, some architects still don't understand the economics of their job. Utter goofballery...

How would you weight the alternatives discussed?

a) Work with existing site constraint, shift tower form to the east, even if this means a smaller floor plate, to contain costs and not create the awkward relationship to the plaza

b) Buy additional land to north to secure more developable space in a better layout, and maybe greater height as well.

c) *** Not discussed, is it practical, at this point, if Mx doesn't stifle it, to structurally enclose the transit entrance with new support columns coming down for that purpose and then enclosing said entrance (this option can be employed with b above or not.

(or do you see any better alternatives?)

Good to hear multiple members of the DRP suggesting that the City "Expropriate the Houses to the North to create a larger development parcel" - at this subway / LRT interchange station... our volunteer have suggested the same since 2019...

1676737690744.png

Good to hear multiple members of the DRP suggesting that the City "Expropriate the Houses to the North to create a larger development parcel" - at this subway / LRT interchange station... our volunteer have suggested the same since 2019...

View attachment 457265
That is going to be some costly expropriation and surely will cause a NIMBY uproar by the neighbouring houses protecting their own future assets.

That is going to be some costly expropriation and surely will cause a NIMBY uproar by the neighbouring houses protecting their own future assets.
Neither of which are Bad - or Unnecessary things to do...

Call it approx. ~$14-MILLION in expropriations for approx. 1/2 an acre at a transit-interchange station, that is an absolute bargain for an option that likely adds another 15-Storeys to the current plan.

"NIMBY uproar by the neighbouring houses" is going to happen no matter what the City does (even the current plan will be NIMBY'd), so might as well get the most public-benefit (eg. Height, Density, Units) we can for the local political pain that will happen regardless.

Neither of which are Bad - or Unnecessary things to do...

Call it approx. ~$14-MILLION in expropriations for approx. 1/2 an acre at a transit-interchange station, that is an absolute bargain for an option that likely adds another 15-Storeys to the current plan.

"NIMBY uproar by the neighbouring houses" is going to happen no matter what the City does (even the current plan will be NIMBY'd), so might as well get the most public-benefit (eg. Height, Density, Units) we can for the local political pain that will happen regardless.
When someone comes for my land I’ll be like thank you very much I’m already building my own 50 floor tower.

When someone comes for my land I’ll be like thank you very much I’m already building my own 50 floor tower.

And that would be silly and make no difference.

They would have to have applied for the rezoning and assembled their property w/their neighbours in order to do that.

You make it out like this is a bad idea or somehow abusive; gov't necessarily expropriates all the time, for subways, highways, roads, schools etc etc.

It's not as if these people would not be paid, in full, the fair market value of their properties.

In most cases, a slight premium is also offered at the voluntary selling stage.

Worth adding, unlikely a typical sale, you don't have a broker taking 6% off the top.

This is a very fair process, when done properly, driven by the public interest.

And that would be silly and make no difference.

They would have to have applied for the rezoning and assembled their property w/their neighbours in order to do that.

You make it out like this is a bad idea or somehow abusive; gov't necessarily expropriates all the time, for subways, highways, roads, schools etc etc.

It's not as if these people would not be paid, in full, the fair market value of their properties.

In most cases, a slight premium is also offered at the voluntary selling stage.

Worth adding, unlikely a typical sale, you don't have a broker taking 6% off the top.

This is a very fair process, when done properly, driven by the public interest.
I do think it’s abusive to be truthful. I can understand we need to build a subway which serves the greater need of the city. But in this case why not just let the developer build taller and let the people in those houses live their lives. If the people want to sell that’s a whole different ball game. But for the city to randomly say we need your land there better be a really really good excuse.

Is this common place. Can you name some examples of areas where people had to move in order for larger buildings to be built.

I’m not a NIMBY. I think if you bought a condo in the club district in those days then you know what you bought into and I don’t agree with the condos being forced out. If you bought beside a rail corridor and then they decide to use that rail corridor more frequently than that’s on you. But this to me seems abusive.

There’s a 50 floor building at Yonge and eglinton going up on a smaller property than my lot. I’ll get right on filling out my applications.

Last edited:
But for the city to randomly say we need your land there better be a really really good excuse.

There is nothing random about it; it's an interchange of 2 rapid transit lines, adjacent to City owned property designated to become affordable housing. That's a very strategic and intentional choice.

Is this common place. Can you name some examples of areas where people had to move in order for larger buildings to be built.

An endless number. The entirety of Regent Park; and Moss Park (TCHC) and Alexandra Park (TCHC) and on and on. All of that public housing was built over was was formerly private housing, some dilapidated, some not.

Expropriation was absolutely used in order to assemble these parcels for the express purpose of public housing, some shorter, some much taller.

I could literally rattle off dozens of projects, in Toronto alone. St. Jamestown is another well known one.

But there are many, many more.

The City has also expropriated just for commercial development (arguably the largest recent such effort didn't work out so well, 'Tenor' or 10 Dundas East.

The idea that this power is somehow limited to subways is odd and doesn't resemble its historical use at all.

I’m not a NIMBY. I think if you bought a condo in the club district in those days then you know what you bought into and I don’t agree with the condos being forced out. If you bought beside a rail corridor and then they decide to use that rail corridor more frequently than that’s on you. But this to me seems abusive.

I continue not at all understand your use of the term abusive. People will be paid, in full, the fair-market value of their land and then a bit extra. They would receive ample notice, and can choose to buy again in the area if they wish, no one is making them leave.

Last edited:
There is nothing random about it; its an interchange of 2 rapid transit lines, adjacent to City owned property designated to become affordable housing. That's a very strategic and intentional choice.

An endless number. The entirety of Regent Park; and Moss Park (TCHC) and Alexandra Park (TCHC) and on and on. All of that public housing was built over was was formerly private housing, some dilapidated, some not.

Expropriate was absolutely used in order to assemble these parcels for the express purpose of public housing, some shorter, some much taller.

I could literally rattle off dozens of projects, in Toronto alone. St. Jamestown is another well known one.

But there are many, many more.

The City has also expropriated just for commercial development (arguably the largest recent such effort didn't work out so well, 'Tenor' or 10 Dundas East.

The idea that this power is somehow limited to subways is odd and does resemble its historical use at all.

I continue not at all understand your use of the term abusive. People will be paid, in full, the fair-market value of their land and then a bit extra. They would receive ample notice, and can choose to buy again in the area if they wish, no one is making them leave.
If I wouldn’t sell to a developer for 2x the value than I’m going to think you telling me I must sell for a little over fair market but yeah I get to avoid real estate fees is yes abusive.

Again there has to be a good reason. I’ve yet to hear why more height on the existing land simply couldn’t be granted.

There are countless car dealerships on dufferin that are happy to sell to developers. There are countless happy residents willing to sell to developers. But again I don’t see the need to force people to move out of homes when there are other places to build.

I just want to say that the man in the movie UP is my hero and I’ll happily be the one house between countless buildings.

There’s a 50 floor building at Yonge and eglinton going up on a smaller property than my lot. I’ll get right on filling out my applications.
Yeah, the City & Province both expropriate when needed for "larger buildings to be built"...

If I wouldn’t sell to a developer for 2x the value than I’m going to think you telling me I must sell for a little over fair market but yeah I get to avoid real estate fees is yes abusive.

Again there has to be a good reason. I’ve yet to hear why more height on the existing land simply couldn’t be granted.

There are countless car dealerships on dufferin that are happy to sell to developers. There are countless happy residents willing to sell to developers. But again I don’t see the need to force people to move out of homes when there are other places to build.

I just want to say that the man in the movie UP is my hero and I’ll happily be the one house between countless buildings.

I'm completely baffled by this line of thinking and simply can't agree with any of it.

I don't think there's much else to say, you apparently disagree with a great deal about the City has evolved and you seem to place private interest ahead of public good. Shrug, you're call.

Back