Toronto 12 High Park Avenue Micro Retail and Nursery | 14.02m | 3s | TACT Architecture

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposed amendments to By-laws 438-86 and 569-2013 to permit the redevelopment of the property including the demolition of two existing house-form rental housing apartment buildings at 12 and 14 High Park Avenue to provide for the construction of a 3-storey day nursery with retail/service at grade as well as the demolition of the rear garages for 1910 and 1920 Bloor Street W to construct 15 micro-retail/service commercial units along the TTC Platform. The existing rental apartment buildings at 1910 and 1920 Bloor Street W will remain. See Folder 16 116224 WET 13 RH for related Rental Housing Demolition & Conversion application.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 16 116216 WET 13 OZ Feb 12, 2016 Under Review

This looks rather interesting.. 15 micro retail units along the TTC platform? what does that mean?

That is very interesting! That's a long bus platform to walk along to get to the subway entrance from High Park Av. There are a ton of people that get off at High Park station so having retail units along this stretch is a great idea and someone should have thought about this ages ago. Plus, hundreds of thousands get off here to see the Cherry Blossoms and food trucks cash in then.

The daycare across the street is always busy, so a new one here will do well I'm sure. Although micro-units seems that all it would be is tiny convenience stores...and they wouldn't need 15 of them. I could see some larger units for coffee shop, a bakery...McCafe. They would be gold mines. Excited to see some renderings.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear micro retail I think of the units in Aura. This is somewhat untested in Toronto. While it may have precedent in Europe, Toronto is not Europe and retailers have little experience in scaling their operations this small enmasse. I do hope iam wrong, and that this works out.

Whenever I hear micro retail I think of the units in Aura. This is somewhat untested in Toronto. While it may have precedent in Europe, Toronto is not Europe and retailers have little experience in scaling their operations this small enmasse. I do hope iam wrong, and that this works out.

Aura's basement could have been successful if there were a reason to go down there (eg a PATH connection or a popular anchor store). Toronto has people who would like to start a retail operation without the high rents of traditional spaces conducive to success like main street storefronts and big suburban plazas. Toronto also has locations where there are many potential consumers but little retail, like around High Park subway station. It likely won't be traditional retailers who lead the way but rather entrepreneurs. Micro retail reduces the risks of starting a retail operation in a nontraditional location.

Last edited:
The developer would like to see successful businesses with other production locations open outlets here, like a bakery where the goods are delivered every morning, that kind of thing.

I think this would probably be more like the shipping containers at Dundas/Bathurst. It won't be hidden underground so I imagine it would be more successful than Aura's retail. It's right by a subway station as well.

This is a pretty cool concept and one that I think could be very successful with all the foot traffic at this station. I could see take out and quick serve restaurants like chinese or sushi doing very well for people grabbing stuff on their way home or on the way to their park. The clothing retail in the renderings... not so much. I guess it depends on what the developer is expecting to charge in rent.

What makes this unique is High Park station is one of the only (if not the only?) station that has a bus bay going directly into the station and still requires a transfer. Which means you don't need a fare payment to go into bus bay area.

This is a pretty cool concept and one that I think could be very successful with all the foot traffic at this station. I could see take out and quick serve restaurants like chinese or sushi doing very well for people grabbing stuff on their way home or on the way to their park. The clothing retail in the renderings... not so much. I guess it depends on what the developer is expecting to charge in rent.

What makes this unique is High Park station is one of the only (if not the only?) station that has a bus bay going directly into the station and still requires a transfer. Which means you don't need a fare payment to go into bus bay area.

Runnymede & Jane also require transfers

The developer would like to see successful businesses with other production locations open outlets here, like a bakery where the goods are delivered every morning, that kind of thing.

I could see something like prairie girl bakery being a perfect fit for this location as they already have a location in the Path that is small and the product is delivered throughout the day.

Updated renderings from an SPA filed in March:
upload_2017-4-6_16-36-41.png

upload_2017-4-6_16-36-58.png

upload_2017-4-6_16-37-19.png

upload_2017-4-6_16-37-53.png

upload_2017-4-6_16-38-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-6_16-36-41.png
    upload_2017-4-6_16-36-41.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 760
  • upload_2017-4-6_16-36-58.png
    upload_2017-4-6_16-36-58.png
    579 KB · Views: 722
  • upload_2017-4-6_16-37-19.png
    upload_2017-4-6_16-37-19.png
    629.5 KB · Views: 720
  • upload_2017-4-6_16-37-53.png
    upload_2017-4-6_16-37-53.png
    553.5 KB · Views: 736
  • upload_2017-4-6_16-38-29.png
    upload_2017-4-6_16-38-29.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 718
Looks like the retail is trying to dominate the TTC station. Should be the other way around imo. Very generic contemporary design as well.

Like I said before, I like the concept. The execution could use a lot of work.

Back