Toronto 11 YV | 213m | 62s | Metropia | Sweeny &Co

Someone was paying attention here, especially in the massing, which is nice. I appreciate the deco attempt, but I'm thinking mere glass-and-spandrel facades can't carry it. Missing most of the entire point of deco - integration of the Arts décoratifs - it comes out looking like the teenage son of The Residences Of College Park.
I do see some resemblance to College Park, although this is somewhat better executed and therefore less tacky.

IMG_2430.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2437.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2435.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2431.JPG

The comparison to ROCP is apt, and I can't really tell which project has the better podium (its still early to judge that). I do enjoy the massing far more here...even if the cladding is also underwhelming.

The comparison to ROCP is apt, and I can't really tell which project has the better podium (its still early to judge that). I do enjoy the massing far more here...even if the cladding is also underwhelming.
ROCP looks like a bargain-basement attempt at art deco: too squat, minimal setbacks and unresolved crown, not to mention the cheap cladding. Still marginally better than the hideous New York towers in North York. This tower is more elegantly proportioned, although it also falls short in many aspects. The only worthy neo art-deco residential tower in Toronto is One St Thomas.

ROCP looks like a bargain-basement attempt at art deco: too squat, minimal setbacks and unresolved crown, not to mention the cheap cladding. Still marginally better than the hideous New York towers in North York. This tower is more elegantly proportioned, although it also falls short in many aspects. The only worthy neo art-deco residential tower in Toronto is One St Thomas.
Agreed. I'm awaiting the streetlevel aspects of this project, but that's more out of curiousity than anything else. Much like ROCP, this will be sandwiched between other tall buildings, and I'm curious how well the urban realm will be along Yorkvilla Ave, considering a large section of the southern edge of the street by Yonge and Bay has been under construction for some time.

Back