Toronto 11 Brock Avenue | 19.19m | 4s | City of Toronto | SvN

4 storeys? really? At least bump that to 6 storeys and deliver 60-70 units instead. We all know the city desperately needs them.
Councillor Perks (and City Planning) did not want to do more on this site -- as it was "Yellow-Belt" NEIGHBOURHOOD zoning.

Our HNTO volunteers model for this site back in 2021 was 10-Storeys / 100-units of regular "affordable housing" -- not "supportive housing" Studios.

11_BROCK_AVE_MYP.png

While I could, in theory support the 10 storeys in the letter from @HousingNowTO above, I don't think the politics or Planning would have gone for it. (at the time)

I think @innsertnamehere hit the nail on the head with 6 storeys.

We could have fun discussing the virtues of that, but I'm just being pragmatic, the six-storey policy for height directly abutting Queen was in effect at the time, and the precedent rightly cited in the letter was 5 1/2 storeys.

Those two things lay the foundation for being able to get six storeys through.

There is certainly an argument for discussing whether setbacks could be sufficiently used to meet the policy goal of six storeys max (or 4); which is human-scale at street level and minimal shadows while still getting more total height and unit count.

I think we cal all agree 4 storeys is an under utilization of the site.

Though, that is complicated by the change in use from affordable housing to supportive housing, as large concentrations of the latter tend to have higher adverse impacts on neighbours and get more blowback. That said, the City's current, informal policy has been to go with up to 60 units of the latter at most sites. (they have gone higher at some).

Here, with the curent concept each additional floor nets 16 more units so 5 floors would have yielded 58 units, and six 74 units. * ( That is w/o factoring in changes in elevator requirement which might subtract one unit per floor)

A more conventional affordable housing model would produce fewer units, something in the range of 8-12 per floor depending on number of bedrooms.

Apart from possible resource constraints without having a private sector developer to partner with, often the city ends up being too diplomatic because they don't want to add "too much" new housing. They would rather not rock the boat in terms of zoning parameters, especially when it comes to being in the midst of yellow belt heavy areas. And they also try to avoid being a catalyst in raising density and height precedents.

Apart from possible resource constraints without having a private sector developer to partner with, often the city ends up being too diplomatic because they don't want to add "too much" new housing. They would rather not rock the boat in terms of zoning parameters, especially when it comes to being in the midst of yellow belt heavy areas. And they also try to avoid being a catalyst in raising density and height precedents.

Well, there is some truth in the idea that if you've laid down a set of guidelines you expect the private sector to follow, you probably ought to follow them yourself.

There is, of course a very fair discussion to be had on the appropriateness of the guidelines in various spots, but I digress.

4 storeys? really? At least bump that to 6 storeys and deliver 60-70 units instead. We all know the city desperately needs them.

Agreed. Cheap wood-frame construction can be up to 6 floors. Adding a 7th floor adds significantly to the cost.

AFAIK adding the 5th/6th floor gets into some fire-rating strengthening and dynamic analysis requirements but it's not a costly.

Last edited:
Photo 2024-08-17, 12 38 40 PM.jpg

Photo 2024-08-17, 12 38 52 PM.jpg

A pristine -- and ungraffiti'ed SIGN at at the old 11 BROCK (former LCBO) site in Parkdale today.

For comparison, the private-market building at QUEEN & BROCK located less than 100 metres away is now 12-Storeys / 222- Units -

😖

Back