Toronto 11 Bay | 269.45m | 54s | QuadReal | Daoust Lestage

Wow those renders are nice. We sure it’s for Toronto? Lol very nice street presence. Many great details. Hope this design sticks.

No we need to get some old school architects that can render something with more stone than glass Khaloody !

Glass is great... I've heard it comes in different colours and even with cool stuff like patterns and fritting.

Here's the 5 minute massing fix (with apologies to kpf): 60% office/40% residential (rental/condo mix).

HarbourCastle-kpf.jpg

Here's 2 of the curtain wall tints, avec geometric frit (hopefully this puts a 'hex' on the renders posted earlier).

H-Castle-clad.png

Decent looking building. Appreciate the golden/copper hue. I don't know if it will get built in this market.

A Friday doc drop - 270m tall

Screen-Shot-2020-09-11-at-3-28-36-PM.png

Sorry, but this is a huge mess, and they definitely need another swipe at it.

It’s not a coherent enough thing right now to leave a strong impression when you look at it. It’s simply broken up here and there without any particular character, like it hasn’t settled on what it wants to be. It really looks like a 12-monkeys style randomly generated, unresolved assortment of (shiny) jenga blocks pushed together.

They already have a prospective anchor tenant.

I can back that up.............and ps, they aren't the only project in the offing w/prospective tenants. That doesn't mean every proposal is going to break ground in the near term. But being a downer on the Toronto office market right now............well, I wouldn't take that bet.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm really surprised by that, I honestly expected most larger Canadian firms would hold on any future space requirements until they see how all the working from home plays out. Not that I believe it will continue indefinitely, but I think an element will remain going forward (and of course there will be huge variances by industry). On the flip side, I know there is a lot of talk about needing more space per person going forward and maybe that fuels office space growth, but too be honest this doesn't really make sense to me; Unless one believes such infections are the future (maybe?) it would seem silly to commit to vast amounts of new space to increase the space-per-person for a short term issue ... that is, it seems to be much cheaper to enact temporary work from home (maybe partially) until things change for the better.

The only exception to everything I said is net-new firms to the GTA (i.e. from out of Canada), that I've always expected to see more of (particularly in the tech space), and that could lead to a lot of growth.

Wow, I'm really surprised by that, I honestly expected most larger Canadian firms would hold on any future space requirements until they see how all the working from home plays out. Not that I believe it will continue indefinitely, but I think an element will remain going forward (and of course there will be huge variances by industry). On the flip side, I know there is a lot of talk about needing more space per person going forward and maybe that fuels office space growth, but too be honest this doesn't really make sense to me; Unless one believes such infections are the future (maybe?) it would seem silly to commit to vast amounts of new space to increase the space-per-person for a short term issue ... that is, it seems to be much cheaper to enact temporary work from home (maybe partially) until things change for the better.

The only exception to everything I said is net-new firms to the GTA (i.e. from out of Canada), that I've always expected to see more of (particularly in the tech space), and that could lead to a lot of growth.

Two things:

1) Some Canadian companies are growing very quickly, both directly and via acquisition.

2) Not every (major) tenant is a Canadian company.

Back