Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

crane coming soon
20180814_122329.jpg

Attachments

• 20180814_122329.jpg
    20180814_122329.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 742
Last edited by a moderator:
Walked by this recently and wow, that hole is BIG! I don't know if it's deeper than most excavations or I just thought the building had a smaller footprint, but it's impressive.

Race night in the harbour. The “sugar” ship was just rotated 180 degrees by two tugs for unloading. Some new excavation at 100 QQ in the near corner. Enjoying the view while it lasts.
63FB9664-461A-4067-B185-34459445938A.jpeg

Attachments

• 63FB9664-461A-4067-B185-34459445938A.jpeg
    63FB9664-461A-4067-B185-34459445938A.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 742
An interesting article on the front page about developing in flood prone areas, since everything south of Front St. is lake infill, hopefully they take these issues into consideration when building this and other buildings in the area, also assuming the Don River mouth redirection does what it's supposed to do. I suppose it can't be too bad since this whole area was already paved and hard surface to begin with.
https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...od-plains-another-sign-of-growing-inequality/

An interesting article on the front page about developing in flood prone areas, since everything south of Front St. is lake infill, hopefully they take these issues into consideration when building this and other buildings in the area, also assuming the Don River mouth redirection does what it's supposed to do. I suppose it can't be too bad since this whole area was already paved and hard surface to begin with.
https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...od-plains-another-sign-of-growing-inequality/

AFAIK the West Donlands Flood Protection Landform basically took care of the major flood risk for most of downtown west of said neigbourhood; the Lower Don/Don Mouth project will take care of the area east of Don River. I am not sure what the complaints about WT allowing floodplain development was all about - the article hashed a bunch of unrelated articles as if it proves its point. Conflating storm surges (which has to do with steadily and baked-in sea levels rises coupled with hurricanes) and applying that to Toronto is just ridiculous.

AoD

Last edited:
AFAIK the West Donlands Flood Protection Landform basically took care of the major flood risk for most of downtown west of said neigbourhood; the Lower Don/Don Mouth project will take care of the area east of Don River. I am not sure what the complaints about WT allowing floodplain development was all about - the article hashed a bunch of unrelated articles as if it proves its' point. Conflating storm surges (which has to do with steadily and baked-in sea levels rises coupled with hurricanes) and applying that to Toronto is just ridiculous.

AoD
I googled to learn more and found that Waterfront Toronto has a good blogpost about the subject!

AFAIK the West Donlands Flood Protection Landform basically took care of the major flood risk for most of downtown west of said neigbourhood; the Lower Don/Don Mouth project will take care of the area east of Don River. I am not sure what the complaints about WT allowing floodplain development was all about - the article hashed a bunch of unrelated articles as if it proves its point. Conflating storm surges (which has to do with steadily and baked-in sea levels rises coupled with hurricanes) and applying that to Toronto is just ridiculous.

AoD
Yup, that article is pretty much garbage, and from a Ryerson prof, too. Anyone taking Deborah De Lange's classes better pay extra attention for other false equivalencies, hand-picked facts, and conspiracy theories she spews.

Yup, that article is pretty much garbage, and from a Ryerson prof, too. Anyone taking Deborah De Lange's classes better pay extra attention for other false equivalencies, hand-picked facts, and conspiracy theories she spews.

My favourite line - "Cities dominated by appointed, un-elected officials, such as the board members of Waterfront Toronto, are helping to generate this inequality." Makes us sound like a slum-filled city in some banana republic. It seems to suggest that poorer people in Toronto are forced to live in low-lying areas where the flood risks are higher, when in reality it typically costs a lot more to live near the lake. I would assume that the availability of affordable housing on the waterfront would be the result of policy efforts to alleviate the affordable housing crunch, rather than some nefarious scheme by 'elites' to force the poor into less desirable areas.

My favourite line - "Cities dominated by appointed, un-elected officials, such as the board members of Waterfront Toronto, are helping to generate this inequality." Makes us sound like a slum-filled city in some banana republic. It seems to suggest that poorer people in Toronto are forced to live in low-lying areas where the flood risks are higher, when in reality it typically costs a lot more to live near the lake. I would assume that the availability of affordable housing on the waterfront would be the result of policy efforts to alleviate the affordable housing crunch, rather than some nefarious scheme by 'elites' to force the poor into less desirable areas.
The original article has a disclaimer!

"Disclosure statement

Deborah de Lange is affiliated with the Urban Land Institute. "

So she MUST know what she's talking about, eh!

Back