Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

It's supposed to be temporary until the Waterfront East Streetcar can be built, when Queens Quay East will get a matching treatment to Queens Quay West.

God knows when that will happen though, it's been sitting in funding limbo for over a decade at this point.
I don't know if they can do much to widen the narrow sidewalk in front of the Redpath plant (assuming the plant will be around for at least the next 2 decades). Some of the frontage is already pretty close to the existing sidewalk. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the Waterfront East streetcar / QQE 'rejuvenation' only see the light of day when the plant is no longer there (ie in the 2040s). Of course by that time QQW will need to be rejuvenated as well!

Yes, I too am disappointed by lack of trees etc. I think (hope!!) the renderings of the SOUTH side will be carried out as that looks FAR better but it does seem odd to have very wide sidewalks on north side with nothing on them! As they have installed granite curbs and the standard WT red-granite 'pavers' I assume this is "it'.

I don't know if they can do much to widen the narrow sidewalk in front of the Redpath plant (assuming the plant will be around for at least the next 2 decades). Some of the frontage is already pretty close to the existing sidewalk. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the Waterfront East streetcar / QQE 'rejuvenation' only see the light of day when the plant is no longer there (ie in the 2040s). Of course by that time QQW will need to be rejuvenated as well!
the south side sidewalk along Redpaths in the current version of the QQE reconstruction is a super narrow sidewalk and cycle track, basically exactly as exists today. Unfortunately that isn't really going to change until Redpath sells, if it ever does.

the south side sidewalk along Redpaths in the current version of the QQE reconstruction is a super narrow sidewalk and cycle track, basically exactly as exists today. Unfortunately that isn't really going to change until Redpath sells, if it ever does.

Redpath is staying, but it's more than likely there will be considerable pedestrian improvements next to their property.

There's a lot more room (including their lands, where not occupied by a building) than you might think.

This is the proposed solution:

1641396303640.png

As you can see, there does remain one bottleneck, in front of Redpath, which is the area close to the slip.

For the balance, the intent is to streetscape and open to the public for walking a portion of what is now private property.

Worth noting in the above..........trees in front of 100 Queen's Quay as well. (which was mislabelled as 100 Yonge, LOL)

Last edited:
Thanks for pulling the actual plans. I was referencing the pinch point near Jarvis, which IIRC has something like a 1 metre wide sidewalk. From what I recall it doesn't eve meet minimum accessibility regulations. The bike lane there is going to be a mess with people walking into it.

Thanks for pulling the actual plans. I was referencing the pinch point near Jarvis, which IIRC has something like a 1 metre wide sidewalk. From what I recall it doesn't eve meet minimum accessibility regulations. The bike lane there is going to be a mess with people walking into it.

Yes, that area next to the Jarvis slip is a problem. The sidewalk is almost certainly below the 2.1M minimum standard.

As it is today:

1641401793572.png

As you can see there is some space between the sidewalk and the building, but currently Redpath feels they need to preclude access here for operational reasons.

I'm uncertain, but I believe this structure is a key reason, and I don't think there are any 'easy' solutions:

1641401897483.png

There is some hope to find some additional room, either on a portion of this section of the Redpath lands, or by slightly shifting the alignment of the road and eating a bit of the north-side public realm.

But as noted, no 'easy' solutions, so the proposed plan stands for now.

That read like 10000 East. Hundred Bucks.

Yes, that area next to the Jarvis slip is a problem. The sidewalk is almost certainly below the 2.1M minimum standard.

As it is today:

View attachment 373126

As you can see there is some space between the sidewalk and the building, but currently Redpath feels they need to preclude access here for operational reasons.

I'm uncertain, but I believe this structure is a key reason, and I don't think there are any 'easy' solutions:

View attachment 373127

There is some hope to find some additional room, either on a portion of this section of the Redpath lands, or by slightly shifting the alignment of the road and eating a bit of the north-side public realm.

But as noted, no 'easy' solutions, so the proposed plan stands for now.

No easy solution to the width of the space, but it can still be improved significantly by a) replacing the chicken wire fence with something more permanent and elegant (like stainless steel decorative fencing), b) extending the same QQ red granite into the area so that it visually connects with the rest of the landscape and c) repaint that structure.

AoD

Back