Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

Gardening...

IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG

I promised some news on new downtown supermarkets awhile back............

Here's one cat that can be let out of the bag:

View attachment 371824

So much for the dream of Loblaws moving across the street.

Will this be in addition to the Farm Boy at Queen's Quay Terminal, or are they getting rid of that one? It's less than a 15-minute walk between the two locations.

So much for the dream of Loblaws moving across the street.

Will this be in addition to the Farm Boy at Queen's Quay Terminal, or are they getting rid of that one? It's less than a 15-minute walk between the two locations.

To my understanding (and I don't work for FB) this is additional.

I am aware they were looking into another nearby location; to my understanding they settled on this site instead.

That's really close to the existing Farm Boy at Queens Quay Terminal - I don't even think it's 15 minutes walk, more like 10.

Major supermarkets often like to locate two locations relatively close to one another, where the market will support that.

It offers a substantial efficiency on the logistics side (deliveries by truck).

Take a look at a couple of these as examples:

Metro College Park to Metro at the Merchandise Bulding (Gould st). - 850M
Metro College Park to Metro at Market Square (Front St.) - 1.1km
Metro Liberty Village to Metro Queen Street (Parkdale) - 1.1km
Loblaws Bayview/Moore to Loblaws Redway - 1.4km
Loblaws Bayview/Moore to Valumart (a Loblaws brand) at Bayview/Davisville - 770M

Distance Farm Boy Queen's Quay Terminal to this site: 870M

FWIW, the other site nearby, that I''m aware of FB having looked at, was considerably closer to the existing store.

Also, average walking speed is ~4km/ph

So 1km is ~15m.

Last edited:
Major supermarkets off like to locate two locations relatively close to one another, where the market will support that.

It offers a substantial efficiency on the logistics side (deliveries by truck).

Take a look at a couple of these as examples:

Metro College Park to Metro at the Merchandise Bulding (Gould st). - 850M
Metro College Park to Metro at Market Square (Front St.) - 1.1km
Metro Liberty Village to Metro Queen Street (Parkdale) - 1.1km
Loblaws Bayview/Moore to Loblaws Redway - 1.4km
Loblaws Bayview/Moore to Valumart (a Loblaws brand) at Bayview/Davisville - 770M

Distance Farm Boy Queen's Quay Terminal to this site: 870M

FWIW, the other site nearby, that I''m aware of FB having looked at, was considerably closer to the existing store.

Also, average walking speed is ~4km/ph

So 1km is ~15m.
Thanks for the research. Loblaws at Queen & Portland and the one at Lake Shore & Bathurst are also pretty close. I guess we’re used to Loblaws and Metro being relatively close to each other, but Farm Boy is a relative newcomer to Toronto. Sure it’s owned by Sobeys, but Sobeys (excluding FreshCo) also don’t have a major presence in the city.

Thanks for the research. Loblaws at Queen & Portland and the one at Lake Shore & Bathurst are also pretty close. I guess we’re used to Loblaws and Metro being relatively close to each other, but Farm Boy is a relative newcomer to Toronto. Sure it’s owned by Sobeys, but Sobeys (excluding FreshCo) also don’t have a major presence in the city.

Farm Boy, Longos, Sobeys and Freshco all have the same parent company now (Empire).

That streetscape is just so awful.
Thank you OLT/LPAT/OMB (whatever) for an over a decade-long appeal process that stopped many of the Central Waterfront Secondary Plan design policies from being in-force, including the requirement for excellent building design. Even when great planning policies are made, including those that touch on design, it either gets ripped up by the tribunal or delayed for so many years that the entire area is built-up by the time they're approved. It makes a complete joke out of planning, and is why we see some developments that are amazing and some that look like they were designed in the 20th century.

Sorry, I'm just really disappointed with the wasted potential. Thankfully, there's still other undeveloped areas on the waterfront and beautiful public realm projects, and the Port Lands policies will be ruled on in May to July 2022 (although they might be altered, leading to more wasted potential). I will be very disappointed if all this public spending results in more of the same trash by greedy developers.

Back