100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was not sure who Downes was. This from Joe Mihevc's Ward 10 newsletter:

Honouring the Downes Family with a new street in the Lower Yonge Precinct

It was my pleasure on Tuesday to host a street-naming ceremony recognizing the history and contribution of the Downes family to Toronto, alongside representatives from Menkes, the Ontario Black History Society, Dr. Sheldon Taylor, and many community members.
Our special guest in attendance at the ceremony, Arthur Downes, was born in Toronto in 1927 and is a retired Justice of the Peace with a vast history of being heavily involved with community development and sustainability. Mr. Downes is the recipient of numerous awards including the 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Black History Society.
Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world but our commemorations do not fully reflect Toronto’s rich histories, culture, and diversity. It is important and necessary to keep working to ensure that our urban landscape reflects the diversity of residents and a more authentic account of Toronto’s history – especially the contributions of Indigenous Peoples, Black communities, and equity-deserving groups.
I am assuming that Downes Street is the new north-south street on the east side of this project though, labeled New Street, and not the east-west street as shown on this image?

1658789553076-png.415930

The east-west street is the extension of Harbour.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I am assuming that Downes Street is the new north-south street on the east side of this project though, labeled New Street, and not the east-west street as shown on this image?

1658789553076-png.415930

The east-west street is the extension of Harbour.

That would certainly make sense but ..... See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-226392.pdf This states:

"In conjunction with the Lower Yonge Precinct EA and the 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East subdivision plan (and 1 Yonge subdivision), two central intersections are to be created within the six proposed blocks of development. These intersections are located along the planned extension of Downes Street, at Freeland Street and Cooper Street. "

The link above also notes: "As the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) will operate a transit service on Downes Street between Freeland Street and Cooper Street, this matter requires City Council approval."

It appears that Harbour Street will end at Yonge (?) which is NOT what the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan originally said but .....

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
That would certainly make sense but ..... See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-226392.pdf This states:

"In conjunction with the Lower Yonge Precinct EA and the 55 Lake Shore Boulevard East subdivision plan (and 1 Yonge subdivision), two central intersections are to be created within the six proposed blocks of development. These intersections are located along the planned extension of Downes Street, at Freeland Street and Cooper Street. "

The link above also notes: "As the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) will operate a transit service on Downes Street between Freeland Street and Cooper Street, this matter requires City Council approval."

It appears that Harbour Street will end at Yonge (?) which is NOT what the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan originally said but .....
Huh, thanks! Well, that allows them to avoid a renumbering on Harbour, or the addition of West or East to sections of Harbour I suppose. Okay!