Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

I still find it incredibly disappointing that planners insisted on meddling with design matters and wanted the podium to have another storey. What was an elegant pavilion-like podium is instead going to be a clunky pastiche. I'm excited for what an office tower will do for the area but in terms of design, I think that's been spoilt.

Before:

hg6Gi2i.jpg

After:

v0QRnA7.jpg

irrRVt6.png

Last edited:
I think you also have to consider the quality and angle of those renders. The first is quite artistic and from a sharp angle giving an impressive look to the "cantilever". The other is a dull, bad angle and utilitarian rendering to show an update, not to really "sell it". I'm personally holding off any judgment till it's either built or we get an equivalent render.

Yeah I'm hoping it's a difference of angle of viewpoints as well. I love how all these Queens Quay renderings have a streetcar going through in the background though!

For me it's not the quality nor the angle of the renderings here that's making the difference, it's wondering if Urban Design is inserting themselves where they do not necessarily need to be. What is intrinsically better about what they want over what's being proposed? Unless they have a compelling, widely accepted architectural 'truth' they can claim to be upholding, they should let the architects be the architects and the developers the developers.

Just lost interest in this one. The previous podium was elegant and inviting. Now it's a snore. Hope that new rendering isn't what they've gone with.

Just lost interest in this one. The previous podium was elegant and inviting. Now it's a snore. Hope that new rendering isn't what they've gone with.
It's pretty much the same rendering, but from a different angle (North vs. East)

For me it's not the quality nor the angle of the renderings here that's making the difference, it's wondering if Urban Design is inserting themselves where they do not necessarily need to be. What is intrinsically better about what they want over what's being proposed? Unless they have a compelling, widely accepted architectural 'truth' they can claim to be upholding, they should let the architects be the architects and the developers the developers.

In an ideal world this would be the way it works but at the end of the day it's a client driven practice that sees a lot of interference. I work in a similar industry and it's a constant challenge juggling your own personal design decisions with those of the client...I hope the projects we see in the city from the larger names don't have the same interference, or perhaps that that will set a precedent for more creative space. That's the dream of course haha

The treatment by the City shouldn't depend on how big a name the architect has, it should depend on the appropriateness and quality of the design. Here the rationale for forcing a third floor on the podium seems to have escaped everybody, other than the City likes it better for some reason.

I'm just flabbergasted that someone looked at what was at least a semi-interesting overhang and a very nice looking wood soffit and said "you know what the uber-bland Southcore(ish) area really needs? More blank, flat, blue-grey curtainwall -- let's make them do that."

This thing rang of suburban Dallas above the podium with a slightly more urban touch there below, and now that the City's effed with it, we're just full Dallas here.

Between this and the Waterfront Uninnovation Centre down the street (and the Corus mess), the City has really messed up the built form on this stretch.

The design for the Waterfront UnInnovation Centre can be laid at award-winning (lol) developer Menkes' feet. Don't blame the city for their penny pinching. I think Menkes needs to learn that if they're going to do projects like an Innovation Centre, the penny pinching of their residential projects simply won't do.

I'm just flabbergasted that someone looked at what was at least a semi-interesting overhang and a very nice looking wood soffit and said "you know what the uber-bland Southcore(ish) area really needs? More blank, flat, blue-grey curtainwall -- let's make them do that."

This thing rang of suburban Dallas above the podium with a slightly more urban touch there below, and now that the City's effed with it, we're just full Dallas here.

Between this and the Waterfront Uninnovation Centre down the street (and the Corus mess), the City has really messed up the built form on this stretch.
Dallas is my least favourite city anywhere.

I think that Southcore is a successful example of a contemporary urban district. There's a good mix of uses and vitality throughout the day. But there's no doubt it would benefit from architectural variety, especially in cladding choices.

Back