Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

UGO28wC.jpg

Love those deep mullions:

Here is a pic of the podium glass along Lake Shore
View attachment 18927

Last edited:
I can't believe how tall that one ICE tower is going to look, they still have that big roof feature to put on. It's very slender too, so it stands out. Can't wait to see it all cladded.

Has there been any discussion on how the condo corp is going to clean the glass on this project? Specifically the locations (see image from previous post)where it looks like balcony glass is a few inches from the window wall. I recently attended my condo AGM and one unresolved issue is cleaning both the balcony glass and fixed window (sliding door) at the juliette balconies. Maybe the developer or architect have developed a method for this project. Glass cleaning will eat up a lot of the condo fees IMO.

The better question is if they've figured out how to clean the tracks on the sliding doors, after putting the operable leaf to the exterior.

Agree 100%. They're absolutely useless. They're big enough for a cat, but not much else.

They are not really intended to be big enough for anything. The idea is simply that you can fully open doors to extend the feeling of living space, without the risk of falling hundreds of feet to your inevitable death.

From a design perspective, Ice's use of these balconies is inventive in that the slab is covered, and the balcony glass is tight enough to the window wall panels to create the appearance of a sleek surface. The regular balconies then add alternating interest. That's my take on it anyway.

They are not really intended to be big enough for anything. The idea is simply that you can fully open doors to extend the feeling of living space, without the risk of falling hundreds of feet to your inevitable death.

I was thinking of posting just this. I don't know if he was being serious or not, but I wonder if he is familiar with what a Juliette balcony is. (i.e., the fact that it is not an actual balcony.)

Last edited:
I was thinking of posting just this. I don't know if he was being serious or not, but I wonder if he is familiar with what a Juliette balcony is. (i.e., the fact that it is not an actual balcony.)
The design of the Juliette balcony at ICE, and at many condos in T.O., is poor to say the least. Using glass sliding doors (with one fixed panel) provides only one half of a Juliette balcony. My point is that the glass at this location will not be cleaned. Further, the design achieved the "slick" look by continuing the balcony glass, tight to the window wall, around the entire perimeter on some floors. It is all fixed glass. Window washers will not be able to clean the glass.

The glass also collects a remarkable amount of snow. It'll be interesting to see how the wall handles a couple freeze/thaw cycles. A lot of the stainless hardware was already rusting the last time I was through.

Back