Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

My biggest concern with this project, however, is the treatment of the York St. streetwall. I'd rather a more dynamic, pedestrian-friendly podium to compliment the other new developments. The podium seems too small/low (floor count). Is it just me?

No, it's not just you... that's my main criticism as well. It looks like dead suburban space.

Perhaps they should re-render it with hundreds of people on the sidewalk, to alleviate our concerns. Anyway, once it, Telus, and MLS are all completed, coupled with the ACC I can't see this place being suburban or dead. I can also see the courtyard/open space between the buildings being a nice place for people to relax, perhaps for a bit if they're too early for their game. Or something.

The design of the project has not changed (yet) - it is simply a different artistic interpretation of the project. Renderings are just an artistic interpretation from blueprints, massing models and the architects that don't reflect with absolute accuracy what the building will ultimately look like - they give a general sense of the future.

I don't agree with CSW2424 assessment that this is the cheaping (which is a term too easily tossed around - buildings often don't have any change whatsoever in construction budgets, materials or design yet get accused of being "cheaped" by some observers based on a drawing they saw in an advertisement in a magazine put together by a undergrad art student or rendering firm based in Florida off of architectural drawings completed 2 or 3 years prior to a shovel going in the ground).

I appreciate this point, and you're right. The render just gave me the impression that it was going to be dulled-down. It will no doubt be changed but hopefully not cheapened.

And it is not the lack of renderpeople that raises my concern. My point is that the podium will not create a low-rise canyon or streetwall effect with respect to its neighbouring podiums. Although I must admit, renderpeople are sometimes my favourite type of fake people.

Last edited:
January 5 2009 update

ICE's future sales office still under construction ~

IMG_3087.jpg

ICE's future sales office still under construction

I've been thinking this every time passing by Ice's sales centre... (past several months) if it takes them that long to build such a small structure.. can't think how long it will take to build the actual thing ;-)
i know, i know sales construction and actual building construction two different things, but still....

I've been thinking this every time passing by Ice's sales centre... (past several months) if it takes them that long to build such a small structure.. can't think how long it will take to build the actual thing ;-)
i know, i know sales construction and actual building construction two different things, but still....

They are just waiting for an Ice Storm to hit to finish the exterior detailing.

It's cheaper that way.

They are just waiting for an Ice Storm to hit to finish the exterior detailing.

It's cheaper that way.

They've changed their mind about building and decided to make an IGLOO with the pending snow storms :D

Attachments

• igloo.jpg
    igloo.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 177
We have Ice that has something that resembles swiss cheese on top;
and Emerald Park by Bazis that looks like cheese string.

Are we on a theme here for future TO projects ???

As I suggested, add M to ICE. And maybe use a rat-faced Eva Longoria type as a sales model

If you think this one is taking a long time, you would think the Parkside Village model in Mississauga took an eternity to be built.

Back