Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

I live in the new-ish building in the area not too far from Ice. We banned airbnb. Took a lot of effort from the board, management and security to enforce and defend the rule. There were several individuals who were still running airbnbs. They came out, and flat out told us that they "make 100k/year through airbnb" on the unit that they had, and they don't care about our rules. Eventually, with the help of good lawyers and going all the way to court, we managed to largely end airbnb in our building.

Unfortunately for ICE, some owners control 30-50 units. They have a majority in the building and sit on the board. At least 2 years ago, ICE board was made up of pro-Airbnb individuals. I am not sure if that still the case though. Current implementation of AirBnB destroys condo communities. Good luck fighting your good fight!

These are 2 very large towers - and STRs are allowed. It's those unit owners that don't live here that don't care about the issues. It's the select few that do call this building home find the issues. Until STRs are not allowed, this will continue to be an issue. It's just the sad truth about having STRs allowed. However, overall I wish more could be done to limit the shear amount that is allowed to exist in a building.

Maple Leaf Square across the street has the same problem. Unfortunately with 100 or so units in the building (around 20%) they were unable to change the declaration to outright ban them.

Even now with the City of Toronto regulations coming into place the STR operators at Maple Leaf Square are coming up with reasons why the new regulations do not apply to them and attempting to come up with ways to avoid being caught.

I actually had a gentleman tell me he would "get a new tenant" every 180 days to get around the legislation. This same person also operates multiple STR units at Ice.

People are making 100K/year through Air BnB so it's no wonder they're trying so hard to keep their investment going.

That sort of business operation needs to be regulated with a view to keeping housing affordable for residents of the city. Every effort needs to be made to keep housing affordable and grow the city's middle class.

That starts by building affordable housing, not luxury condos on every corner. There's a lot that can be done to make housing more affordable and it's not just banning AirBnB or foreign buyers.

That starts by building affordable housing, not luxury condos on every corner. There's a lot that can be done to make housing more affordable and it's not just banning AirBnB or foreign buyers.

Thy did this at 150 Dan Leckie Way. Part of it was affordable housing and the rest was a regular condo.

It didn't work out well as there was a clash of lifestyles. The property values took a nosedive in the condo, the police were there often, etc.

That sort of business operation needs to be regulated with a view to keeping housing affordable for residents of the city. Every effort needs to be made to keep housing affordable and grow the city's middle class.
Why should it be the government's business what you do with your property? It's the sort of nanny state we should be avoiding. If people can't afford living in the city, there's plenty of other more affordable spots in the country.

Why should it be the government's business what you do with your property? It's the sort of nanny state we should be avoiding. If people can't afford living in the city, there's plenty of other more affordable spots in the country.
Then I guess you won't mind if I open a 24 hour nightclub next to your property? If you don't like it, there are plenty of other places you could move to.

Then I guess you won't mind if I open a 24 hour nightclub next to your property? If you don't like it, there are plenty of other places you could move to.
I do mind, since there's a thing called zoning. If your property is zoned as residential, you can't suddenly open a night club without rezoning first.
Similarly, if your property is zoned as residential, you can either live there or operate it as a STR, as long as someone lives in it (or it remains empty).

Are you saying all poor people are criminals?

I'm just saying that people in general are stupid and in the interest of the safety and wellbeing of others the government needs to regulate short term rentals.

I see daily how people just don't care when they rent short term because it is not their home.

If people want to turn their rental into a frat house and the owner does not prevent it, the laws need to be changed for the benefit of those around the rental.

As someone said, nobody buys a condo hoping to live next to a nightclub.

I like it, but I wish the podium was a bit larger. I think in 20 years Bremner, as a street, could be as much a tourist draw as Yonge or Bloor and I wish the planners would take this into consideration by mandating street level design that would be amenable to touristy draws (destination restaurants and shopping, galleries, etc).

Just saw this. 12 years later and it is almost prophetic.

I do mind, since there's a thing called zoning. If your property is zoned as residential, you can't suddenly open a night club without rezoning first.
Similarly, if your property is zoned as residential, you can either live there or operate it as a STR, as long as someone lives in it (or it remains empty).
But isn't a thing called zoning an example of a thing called the nanny state.?
And what if your neighbour's STD er... STR becomes a de facto 24 hour night club?

Back