Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Steveve - I get what you are alluding to. While in a sense, it is an accident of history, the Toronto skyline has been dominated by buildings away from the waterfront (...) Another newbie comment to be regarded as such....

It is naïve to consider political decisions to industrialise Lake Ontario as "accidents." History doesn't magically happen.
Your denigration via post count is not something a thinking responder would convey. You haven't the awareness of who frequents this site. You are completely ignorant of this community's credentials. Even someone holding a Ph.D must commence with post number one.

Steveve: aside from anyone else's illusions of what you might be thinking, the point you were making about the CN Tower's overpowering height relative to the downtown's building stock isn't something I consider unattractive, even if you wish to characterise this skyline angle as "stubby." The city's core is filling in and gradually helping the City to become economically sustainable. When Toronto's downtown is viewed from an objective perspective there is actually a lot to celebrate.

There will be a day when downtown Toronto will grow to be 3X larger; and on that day there will still be complainers trying to locate some visual angle of a skyline that annoys them somehow.

The city wasn't built away from the lake, it grew right beside it. The problem (if you want to consider it that) is that the harbour was moved away from the centre of the city over many years due to landfill. If the filling didn't happen then the shore would still be at Front St. and the CBD (Royal York hotel, RBC, etc. would be only metres from the water. The landfill area is being newly occupied by towers now instead of being under-utilised with lowrise warehouses and industry, so the gap won't be around much longer.

I actually like the CN Tower being offset from the cluster of towers in the financial district rather than being in the cluster; it gives two points to the postcard view of the skyline instead of just one.

First World problems, eh? I hope your hate towards Toronto's skyline not filling in to your aesthetical standards doesn't dismay you too much...

And the city was built "away" from the lake because the lakefront was occupied by industries that supported the city's economy: which is sort of necessary. But that was then; now, quite obviously, Toronto's waterfront is redeveloping. The city is no longer built "away" from the lake, but increasingly along it.

It is naïve to consider political decisions to industrialise Lake Ontario as "accidents." History doesn't magically happen.
Your denigration via post count is not something a thinking responder would convey. You haven't the awareness of who frequents this site. You are completely ignorant of this community's credentials. Even someone holding a Ph.D must commence with post number one.

Steveve: aside from anyone else's illusions of what you might be thinking, the point you were making about the CN Tower's overpowering height relative to the downtown's building stock isn't something I consider unattractive, even if you wish to characterise this skyline angle as "stubby." The city's core is filling in and gradually helping the City to become economically sustainable. When Toronto's downtown is viewed from an objective perspective there is actually a lot to celebrate.

There will be a day when downtown Toronto will grow to be 3X larger; and on that day there will still be complainers trying to locate some visual angle of a skyline that annoys them somehow.

Thank you RyeJay for these two posts. I agree with everything you've said. And now that you've said it, I don't have to! :)

Well that was a pretty ridiculous exchange.

I really think all steveve was saying is that FCP at King and Bay (for example), when viewed from the islands, doesn't look as large as it would have had it been built at say Bay and Lake Shore Blvd instead. And when compared with the CN Tower, the combination of both distance from the lake and enormity of the CN Tower make it look even smaller.

Yeesh.

^^ Obviously, that's what Steveve was saying and I agree with him but I also like the fact that our downtown goes away from the waterfront. I think it gives the core more depth and allows us to have a very walkable city. No matter which direction you go, there are things to see and do. Our skyscrapers just tend to keep going and going right up Yonge Street. Cities like Chicago, are dead zones once you get a few blocks away from the waterfront. Those types of cities are one long thin wedge, while our animated areas go in all directions.

^ the only thing that makes Chicago look better than Toronto is the height and more office towers. Chicago has towers taller than 300m whereas Toronto only has one tower which is 500m and other tower is almost 300m.

^ the only thing that makes Chicago look better than Toronto is the height and more office towers. Chicago has towers taller than 300m whereas Toronto only has one tower which is 500m and other tower is almost 300m.

Admittedly relatively unfamiliar with Chicago (been there for business), I'll take safe, vibrant, walkable streets and neighbourhoods over tall buildings any day. One day we will come to celebrate just how great we have it here in Toronto, weather notwithstanding!

Ice are looking just terrific, so far exceeding my expectations.

Whenever I drive past on the Gardiner, I have to admit wondering about people who would choose to live that close to the highway.

Gardiner 073114 01.jpg

Attachments

• Gardiner 073114 01.jpg
    Gardiner 073114 01.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,214
I have to admit thinking about those people who choose to live in the middle of everything....how nice it is....book a few nights at Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, its a boutique hotel in the southcore and notice how this area is amazingly centralized.

Big fan of the southcore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back