Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

It's a cable from a crane. The photo has been stitched together from multiple photos or exposures while the crane was moving, so it looks a bit odd.

thanks for the information friend. I thought it was something like oil squirting out of somewhere.

Ryan is correct. The dynamic range of the human eye would be able to see the wide range of luminance between the overpowering sky and the dimmer building lights, however the dynamic range of a camera (and the encoding format) is considerably less.

You have to expose your limited range with some compromise. Here the detail in the buildings is lost due to the compromise of correctly capturing the sky. If he's exposed for the buildings, he'd blow out the sky.

Think of it like setting the volume level when recording sound (on a 16bit or less system). If you want to capture very quiet sounds, you risk distorting the loud ones. If you want to capture the loud sounds, you might not hear the quiet ones.

This is why 24bit sound recorders are better than 16bit.
This is why 12bit (per channel) camera formats are better than 8bit.

haha. I'll try and dodge the question, and just post a photo. :) The tower crane is now gone. I noticed there are some forms still on the roof. I assume the derrick will remove them? I've not seen that before.

IMG_1948.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 773

Back