News   Apr 22, 2024
 782     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

Top 10 Skyscrapers in the World

Exactly! I had never been able to put it into words, but I have long felt that this was the case. Post-Modernism was big on superficial 'gadgets', but underneath, the box remained more or less intact. Compare this to the more recent complete departures from boxhood seen in many of the more acclaimed structures.

I well remember that when the AT&T / Sony tower was under construction, it was regarded as a radical, bordering on outrageous, departure from architectural orthodoxy, and now it seems to be regarded as a box with flourishes. I never fail to be amused when I see some new project being described as 'just another box' on UT, when 30 years ago it would have been seen as being beyond-cutting-edge.

Today's additions to this list:

1976 -- 180m + 114m -- 41a + 26s -- Royal Bank Plaza -- Toronto
1977 -- 165m -- 42s -- Tour du Credit Lyonnais -- Lyon
1984 -- 194m -- 40s -- One PPG Place -- Pittsburgh
2008 -- 261m -- 52s -- Grand Lisboa -- Macau
2008 -- 170m -- 36s -- Nagoya Mode Gakuen Building -- Nagoya
2003 -- 412m -- 90s -- Two International Finance Centre -- Hong Kong

Last edited:
Somehow, even as a "token Toronto building", Scotia Plaza doesn't belong.

It funny you say that ... I was about to post I'm glad to see Scotia Plaza on many of these lists as its definitely in the top 20 for me, and not just as a token Toronto building.

One thing to keep in mind is I'm judging the entire building externally, from the base all the way up. I just love the podium of Scotia Plaza meets the ground.

It funny you say that ... I was about to post I'm glad to see Scotia Plaza on many of these lists as its definitely in the top 20 for me, and not just as a token Toronto building.

(1) How many of those lists are not by Torontonians, and
(s) how many of those lists are not by skyscraper-message-board types (i.e. by actual, reputable, published experts in the field)

(1) How many of those lists are not by Torontonians, and
(s) how many of those lists are not by skyscraper-message-board types (i.e. by actual, reputable, published experts in the field)

Good points - it may really just be me then, I'm comparing it too many similar buildings of its time and I still find it stands out immensely.
Also, there aren't too many shots of the building that include the podium, it's hard to capture - so being a resident we have an advantage in terms of that. Really the podium makes this building.

IMO, this is a highly controversial list... for example, many people will argue that some buildings must certainly be on the list because of their historic nature/innovation in the skyscraper world...

Ones built in the past 10 years super-talls that are really nice IMO,
Shanghai world financial center, Burj Khalifa (it's innovation is great. it's shaped the future for super super tall), Trump Chicago, Guangzhou international finance centre, international finance center, Bank of America tower

I like how these buildings are designed. But can't just imagine how they have proceed with the design process of these building. Considering that they are way beyond the usual\common concept.

Hearst Tower, QIPCO Tower, Aqua, City of Capitals, Seocho Garak Tower East, Absolute Towers & MahaNakhon.

Back