4. SPIRE - sleek, slim, and high quality
5. X Condo - great concept to revive Mies
6. One St. Thomas - best neoclassical building one could imagine
7. 18 Yorkville - true Toronto neo-modernism and contextual podium
8. Absolute World - striking design
9. Matrix - cylindrical shape; mechanical room
10. One King West - dramatic shape, slim, different for TO

Last edited:
SP!RE, why SP!RE 4th on the list?!?! lol!

The MET is a cool looking thing, and does WONDERS for the street canyon of Carlton... also very cool looking... my only problem with these buildings is they can look a bit awkward and bulky from some angles, and i don't like how it looks from the east/west, where one overlaps the other (with the exception from Carlton)

01. Absolute
02. 155 Cumberland
03. Trump
04. X Condos
05. The Met

06. Florian
07. Spire
08. Uptown
09. Pharmacy Building (University of Toronto)
10. Casa

the thing with 155 cumberland, is due to it's awkward height, from street level it looks quite off, had it been taller, the details would have been more apparent, and it would have had a bigger impact, and be more appreciated, but the interiors are killer.

the thing with 155 cumberland, is due to it's awkward height, from street level it looks quite off, had it been taller, the details would have been more apparent, and it would have had a bigger impact, and be more appreciated, but the interiors are killer.

I like the proportions. It's a nice break from all the skinny towers.

I just have to chime in and say whether or not you like the building - the Pantages Tower marks Toronto entrance into this new era of tall towers. After a long drought (of around 8 years or so), it was the first tower to crack 400+ feet and the first tower of at least 40 floors.

And now here we are 8 years later where it seems every week there's a new proposed tower as tall (or taller) than Pantages.

Last edited:
In terms of influence I think the TIFF tower at King / John has had a big impact. It's height set a precedent for the neighbourhood that has been used as the justifcation for all of the new towers in the entertainment district. I wonder what would've happened if the City held out for a more modest height for that project.

I just have to chime in and say whether or not you like the building - the Pantages Tower marks Toronto entrance into this new era of tall towers. After a long drought (of around 8 years or so), it was the first tower to crack 400+ feet and the first tower of at least 40 floors.

Indeed. Watching the Pantages Tower rise was what turned me into a skyscraper geek. I guess it was the very long drought before it, because I don't recall that watching Scotia Plaza rise made as deep an impression on me.

And now here we are 8 years later where it seems every week there's a new proposed tower at tall (or taller) than Pantages.

From SSP:

WhipperSnapper said:
Met up with an old friend. The supertalls are coming!!!

We know of at least two for-sure supertalls, the Yorkville 100s tower, and the even taller "Synergy" somewhere on Yonge Street -- plus several other possible supertalls (such as the rumoured twin 80s towers on the Bloor Holt-Renfrew site, which could possibly reach 300m).

Back