News   Jul 15, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 432     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 546     0 

Time to Ban Phone Books

Doesn't Yellowpages have one of those newfangled web sites everyone keeps talking about?

Doesn't Yellowpages have one of those newfangled web sites everyone keeps talking about?

Yes, but just because one has Web access doesn't mean one is a martyr to said Web access 24/7. There's a certain backup "user friendliness" to print that the Web can't match. (At least, to those born before 1980 or so.)

Maybe... but only if the phone system is still running
I'm yet to see a power outage when the phone system has gone down ... even when the power has been down for a couple of weeks.

and if you have an old-school phone that doesn't require electricity, and the person you are phoning also has an old-school phone.
That's the prime reason that you keep at least one regular phone around. It's also useful when the Internet itself is down/flakey - or if the computer is turned off, and you don't want to bother to turn it on just to check a single number you can look up in 5 seconds. Heck, the yellow pages themselves are quite useful if your tryign to find something somewhat unusual ...

If you want an argument on behalf of stuff like hard copy Yellow Pages, consider how annoying it can be to enter an office building where the only office directory is touch-screen, and you have to waste your time touching, touching, touching when an actual physical office directory would make it far easier to quickly glimpse-and-go...

^ Amen adma, and it's not just office buildings. A number of residential buildings have these as well, and it can be frustrating to keep scrolling up and down to find the relevant name.

Let's not forget that a lot of the paper used for items such as phonebooks, come from paper industry owned tree farms. A lot of the time, saying we're wasting trees is like saying we're wasting potatoes. The negative environmental aspects lie with the processing and manufacturing but that also applies to recycling. As far as how widespread the use of phonebooks is, one need only ask the many businesses who advertise within them and probably wouldn't do very well without them as lot of those smaller businesses can't afford to maintain a website. I used my phonebook twice this week to contact a concrete company and an upholstery cleaning service.

Yellow Pages

Well - I'm going to be the odd person out here... but I still use the print version of the Yellow Pages.
With print I'm able to quickly scan through 3 or 4 pages of ads for electricians, plumbers, hvac repair and maintenance etc, etc.
Using online ads, the process is much more monotonous and tedious, as I have to page/download through ads one at a time.

However, White Pages can be discontinued IMHO.

Some good ideas here. I think having to pick them up yourself at a Bell store or other phone store makes the most sense to me. As well, there may be a better opportunity this way to keep track of supply and demand. I doubt apartment superintendents are reporting back how many they throw out or put into recycling.

Even though I have a never-used white pages and a rarely-used yellow pages (just for pizza delivery numbers) in a cupboard, there is no need for me to get a new one every year. Too me that seems very wasteful.

I don't believe that phone books are even delivered anymore, I can't recall seeing one in years. The Yellow Pages continue to be dumped on our front porch.
I believe phone books can be picked up at Bell Centre's or you can phone Bell Canada and they will deliver one to your home.

I don't believe that phone books are even delivered anymore, I can't recall seeing one in years. The Yellow Pages continue to be dumped on our front porch.
I believe phone books can be picked up at Bell Centre's or you can phone Bell Canada and they will deliver one to your home.

Still get mine delivered to the house. I wish you could be able to download or get a thumb drive version of the yellow, white and blue pages . I remember after a meeting at the liberty grand a thumb drive in my windshield having the advertisement for a real estate company.

I remember the yellow pages being available on a CD or DVD several years ago.

Back