News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 395     0 

Time to ban downtown marathons?

The 105th Santa Claus Parade is scheduled for Sunday, November 15, 2009, starting at 12:30 P.M..

Wonder how many will not remember and wonder why they can't around downtown at that date?

parade_map.jpg

Hey, I just noticed something different with the map. Instead of using Queen Street, they are using Dundas Street to get from University to Yonge. Interesting, how many would have used Dundas to bypass the parade on Queen?

santa claus is a soshalist who hats cars just like davad millar!!

City demands marathons change dates

Seeks longer gap between Scotiabank and Goodlife Toronto races after frustrated motorists complain to City Hall about traffic tie-ups

Brodie Fenlon

Toronto — From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2009 12:23AM EDT
Last updated on Thursday, Oct. 22, 2009 2:31AM EDT

City Hall has warned the organizers of Toronto's duelling marathons to figure out how to run their events months apart, or it will come up with its own solution.

At issue were the significant street closings required just three weeks apart to stage Sunday's Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon and the earlier Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon.

Peter Noehammer, director of the city's transportation services, said frustrated motorists had called or e-mailed complaints to the mayor's office and the media.

“Our goal is to try and minimize the impact to the motoring public in having closures that are so close together,†he said.

Mr. Noehammer said the city wants organizers to separate the events by up to six months, with one race in the fall and one in spring, or to merge them.

But there's little common ground between the pair in a dispute that dates back years.

Jay Glassman, who took over the Toronto Marathon from the Ontario Track and Field Association in 1995, said he warned city council against allowing a second marathon in Toronto when the waterfront event expanded in 2000.

He said his race has always been held on the first weekend after Thanksgiving and he has no intention of changing it.

“It's not fair. They were the ones that came after us," he said, adding that his race gets the brunt of motorists' anger because it happens to be second on the calendar.

“The city created this and they should fix it. But if it goes to council and council has been lobbied by Scotiabank…It scares me what might happen to me and this event.â€

Alan Brookes, race director of the Waterfront Marathon, said his event attracts elite athletes and is firmly established on the world calendar of premier marathons. He said training clinics the Running Room has programmed before his marathon, and a new three-year promotion with Acura, make a spring event impossible.

“We've created this enormously successful race with all this infrastructure and all these sponsorships, that's really impossible to move,†he said.

“It would be enormously damaging.â€

About 20,000 runners took part in this year's Waterfront Marathon, while the Toronto Marathon attracted a record 13,000 participants.

Mr. Noehammer said if the two races can't reach a compromise, his staff will draft a report with recommendations for council to consider early next year.

They should run them both on the same day, on routes that criss cross each other and merge together toward the end. It'd be a game of both athletic and mental fitness.

Considering the success of the Waterfront Marathon and its status as a IAAF Silver Label Road Race not to mention the better timing for weather conditions it would make sense to me that the Toronto Marathon would be the one moved. In the spring there is the Ride for Heart and Ottawa's race weekend to schedule around.

Considering the success of the Waterfront Marathon and its status as a IAAF Silver Label Road Race not to mention the better timing for weather conditions it would make sense to me that the Toronto Marathon would be the one moved.

Agreed with these points.

In addition, Ottawa and Waterfront are really the only two marathons in Canada that make the effort (and have the money to back it up) to go after world class elite fields as well as explicitly supporting the best Canadian marathoners (such as their co-operation to act as qualifiers for the marathon at the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin this past summer).

As such, it would be counter-productive to the competitive side of the sport in Canada to put these two in direct competition with respect to dates.

Before Glassman took over the now Goodlife marathon, it used to have a May date.

(With reference to the IAAF silver label, I believe only five or six marathons in North America have such designation.)

I don't have a problem because It promotes healthy living, It brings in money, and some of the marathons have a good cause like curing cancer.

Back