News   Apr 24, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 404     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 754     1 

Time for Ranked Ballots

Digging up a old thread, City Council asked the province to allow the city to implement ranked ballots for the 2018 election.

2018 is a logical time for this as the city is slated to replace their election machines in 2015/2016.

I am hoping that the ranked ballot can be a trial run for the rest of Canada. Hopefully it will spread through the nation once people realize how successful it is. Never again shall Toronto have a crazy mayor like Ford.

Even if we had ranked ballots in 2010, Rob Ford would most likely still would have been elected.

Even if we had ranked ballots in 2010, Rob Ford would most likely still would have been elected.

I disagree.

Remember the whole strategic voting fiasco where Thompson (and other) voters were told to vote for Smitherman because he'd have a better chance of winning? With ranked voting, Smitherman probably would have won with a vote from at least 55% of Torontonians. The left/centrist vote would have never been split.

I disagree.

Remember the whole strategic voting fiasco where Thompson (and other) voters were told to vote for Smitherman because he'd have a better chance of winning? With ranked voting, Smitherman probably would have won with a vote from at least 55% of Torontonians. The left/centrist vote would have never been split.

With Rob Ford getting 47.1% of the vote, it would be impossible for his opponents to receive 55%.

It wouldn't take many voters to choose Ford as their second choice for him to win anyway. There are polling numbers out there that show that Ford was the second choice of many Rossi, Thomson, and Pantalone voters. (Really!)

Last edited:
If these were the results for #1:

Rob Ford 383501 47.114%
George Smitherman 289832 35.607%
Joe Pantalone 95482 11.73%
Rocco Rossi 5012 0.616%
George Babula 3273 0.402%
Rocco Achampong 2805 0.345%
Abdullah-Baquie Ghazi 2761 0.339%
Michael Alexander 2470 0.303%
Vijay Sarma 2264 0.278%
Sarah Thomson 1883 0.231%
Jaime Castillo 1874 0.23%
Dewitt Lee 1699 0.209%
Douglas Campbell 1428 0.175%
Kevin Clarke 1411 0.173%
Joseph Pampena 1319 0.162%
David Epstein 1202 0.148%
Monowar Hossain 1194 0.147%
Michael Flie 1190 0.146%
Don Andrews 1032 0.127%
Weizhen Tang 890 0.109%
Daniel Walker 804 0.099%
Keith Cole 801 0.098%
Michael Brausewetter 796 0.098%
Barry Goodhead 740 0.091%
Tibor Steinberger 735 0.09%
Charlene Cottle 733 0.09%
Christopher Ball 696 0.086%
James Di Fiore 655 0.08%
Diane Devenyi 629 0.077%
John Letonja 592 0.073%
Himy Syed 582 0.072%
Carmen Macklin 575 0.071%
Howard Gomberg 477 0.059%
David Vallance 444 0.055%
Mark State 438 0.054%
Phil Taylor 429 0.053%
Colin Magee 401 0.049%
Selwyn Firth 394 0.048%
Ratan Wadhwa 290 0.036%
Gerald Derome 251 0.031%

Totals 813984 100%

What would have been the results after #2 and #3. We wouldn't have known back in 2010.

With Rob Ford getting 47.1% of the vote, it would be impossible for his opponents to receive 55%.

It wouldn't take many voters to choose Ford as their second choice for him to win anyway. There are polling numbers out there that show that Ford was the second choice of many Rossi, Thomson, and Pantalone voters. (Really!)

I've underestimated peoples stupidity :rolleyes:

If these were the results for #1:

What would have been the results after #2 and #3. We wouldn't have known back in 2010.

Race would have been much closer than I anticipated. Smitherman could have eked out a small victory assuming that Pantelone voters went for Smitherman, but I'll give Ford the benefit of the doubt.

That is very surprising.

Anyways, I prefer the ranked ballot system. over first-past-the-post

It would be up to the Ontario legislature to make changes to municipal elections to get ranked ballots for Toronto civic elections.

They could also make other changes at the same time, as well. Such as creating a methodology to recall a city politician, for example.

It would be up to the Ontario legislature to make changes to municipal elections to get ranked ballots for Toronto civic elections.

They could also make other changes at the same time, as well. Such as creating a methodology to recall a city politician, for example.

Or to reduce the number of Councillors or to give the Mayor more powers?

I don't agree with a Ranked Ballot.

Provincially and Federally I believe in a Proportional Representation system.... but didn't Ontario voters not like that in the past?

In terms of Mayoral elections, or any election where it is individuals running (and not part of a political party), I support a "run off" system like the French Presidential Elections. You eliminate all candidates until you have two. And at the end the top two run against each other. That way their is no issue with "50% + 1". It may take a couple weeks longer, but when so much is at stakes, it is worth it.

I don't agree with a Ranked Ballot.

Provincially and Federally I believe in a Proportional Representation system.... but didn't Ontario voters not like that in the past?

In terms of Mayoral elections, or any election where it is individuals running (and not part of a political party), I support a "run off" system like the French Presidential Elections. You eliminate all candidates until you have two. And at the end the top two run against each other. That way their is no issue with "50% + 1". It may take a couple weeks longer, but when so much is at stakes, it is worth it.

Won't this just achieve the same thing as ranked ballots at twice the cost?

And would you rather have ranked ballot or FPTP?

Won't this just achieve the same thing as ranked ballots at twice the cost?

And would you rather have ranked ballot or FPTP?

I think I was pretty clear. In Provincial and Federal Elections I support Proportional Representation. This forces coalitions and it works well in Europe and other places. It makes people work together and compromise.

In elections where it is one person against another (i.e. Toronto's mayoral elections) I support the European style "run off elections".

I do not support ranked ballots. And I think FPTP - although it provides a certain measure of political stability - it gives parties with 35-40% of the vote a majority in parliament. And that just isn't right in my eyes.

In Provincial and Federal Elections I support Proportional Representation. This forces coalitions and it works well in Europe and other places. It makes people work together and compromise.
How would riding representatives be determined, or would would specific, defined ridings disappear? And would it be strictly proportional, so that a small Ontario party could get a seat with 1% of the vote?

Anyway, I can't see the three main parties ever agreeing to implement such a system.

FPTP is hardly fair. There are councilors who are in council who've been elected with less than 20% of the vote. That hardly seems fair and Democratic to me.

Back