News   Apr 25, 2024
 290     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 603     0 

Time for Ranked Ballots

The next provincial election would be in Spring 2022, ...

Yep, and I expect Ford will survive into a second term; probably lose a few seats but not enough. End of 2021/early 2022 ought to be pretty good to all leaders in Canada simply due to numerous happy announcements (multiple vaccines rolling out in large volume, significantly reduced restrictions, announcement of several summer 2022 Covid-Stock events, etc.).

Frankly, I'm not sure Del Duca was the best choice to go against even the 2019-Ford in the 905.

Last edited:
A shame this never happened. I thing recreating something connecting the GTA without going through Union needs to happen.
Yep, and I expect Ford will survive into a second term; probably lose a few seats but not enough. End of 2021/early 2022 ought to be pretty good to all leaders in Canada simply due to numerous happy announcements (multiple vaccines rolling out in large volume, significantly reduced restrictions, announcement of several summer 2022 Covid-Stock events, etc.).

Frankly, I'm not sure Del Duca was the best choice to go against even the 2019-Ford in the 905.

If the Ontario NDP's Bob Rae could get in 1990, Andrea Horwath could do it in 2022, if voters don't go with Doug Ford or Steven Del Duca?

Or use a three-sided coin flip?
2008_canadian_triangle.png

From link.

If the Ontario NDP's Bob Rae could get in 1990, Andrea Horwath could do it in 2022, if voters don't go with Doug Ford or Steven Del Duca?

Maybe in 2026; this time last year I would have agreed.

IMO, Ford needs to do something incredibly stupid to not win a minority in 2022. He's certainly capable of messing up an easy win though.

numerous happy announcements (multiple vaccines rolling out in large volume, significantly reduced restrictions, announcement of several summer 2022 Covid-Stock events, etc.)
Don't forget the St Patrick's 2.0s that John Tory will need to pay back!

Just got an e-mail concerning the banning of ranked ballots. I cut-n-paste it here:

Hall Monitor​

Jennifer Pagliaro and David Rider
By Jennifer Pagliaro and David Rider
Toronto looks nothing like its city council. One is Jurassic Park during the 2019 Raptors playoff run; the other is overwhelmingly white, male and middle-aged-plus. The disconnect has a number of causes — economic advantage, incumbency, name recognition. But solutions? There are few, maybe only one. And now it’s likely gone.

Ranked ballots are a different way of electing people, one that ensures a winner is chosen by a majority of their voters. That seemed to happen when London, Ont. ran a ranked-ballot election in 2018. Canadian political parties almost all use it to choose leaders, too — think of Erin O’Toole winning the Conservative leadership on the third ballot after other candidates dropped out and their supporters moved to him.

Toronto has for years looked at giving ranked ballots a try, with encouragement from democracy activist Dave Meslin and grassroots groups like the Ranked Ballot Initiative of Toronto. Mayor John Tory agrees it’s worth a shot.

But last week, we discovered — buried deep in pandemic legislation — that Premier Doug Ford has said no.

No to Toronto, no to London, no to any municipality.

We thought back to 2015 and our surprise when ranked ballots became an option, thanks to Ted McMeekin, then the municipal affairs minister. Electoral reform rarely happens, because politicians usually cling to the status quo. And so David reached out to now-retired McMeekin, who recalled that asking politicians to change the rules that got them elected was “like asking Colonel Sanders to protect the chickens.” Now, he has one big question for Ford: why?

What has to happen (until we get a more democratic provincial government) is to narrow the selection of ward (and mayoralty) candidates down to a couple. With survey polls, the candidates could decide that the polling shows that they don't have a chance and should drop out before the cut-off date (like the "primary" races in the States). Not the best, but we could get better results.

Back