News   Apr 16, 2024
 521     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 424     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 783     0 

Thoughts on this floorplan? (wacky inside)

UserNameToronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
As attached, a proposed reno floorplan.

Second floor of downtown rowhouse. Loft on the third floor, living room/kitchen on ground floor.

Goofy? Enough storage? Nix the laundry room? Bedroom too small? Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• floorplan.JPG
    floorplan.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

Downtown rowhouse.

Goofy? Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

As long as there's another floor as part of this, it's one of the least wacky floorplans I've ever seen. Looks like a pretty standard second floor townhome layout to me.

Second floor of downtown rowhouse. Loft on the third floor, living room/kitchen on ground floor.

Goofy? Enough storage? Nix the laundry room? Bedroom too small? Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

for your proposed reno:
are the plumbing lines already there or are you willing to move them around?
do you NEED or just desire a separate tub and shower?
will your W/D be stacked or side-by-side?

i'm in favour of not having a laundry room where it is, and using some of that space as a closet for the back bedroom.

ps - could you please post the dimensions for the bathroom - wall to wall - it looks like 11'0" x 7'6"

Last edited:
I like it, but I'd stack the w/d with the door onto the hallway and make a closet for the 2nd bedroom with the extra space.

this is great , so you can rent out the basement ???, and ground floor and basement unit don't have to share the same washer/dryer room ??

Appreciate your thoughts guys.

this is great , so you can rent out the basement ???, and ground floor and basement unit don't have to share the same washer/dryer room ??

No, we're planning to have a family in here. Basement is unfinished. Third floor loft can hold 2 munchkins. First floor has living room, dining room, and kitchen. 1200sqft all in all.

for your proposed reno:
are the plumbing lines already there or are you willing to move them around?
do you NEED or just desire a separate tub and shower?
will your W/D be stacked or side-by-side?

i'm in favour of not having a laundry room where it is, and using some of that space as a closet for the back bedroom.

ps - could you please post the dimensions for the bathroom - wall to wall - it looks like 11'0" x 7'6"

We will have to move plumbing. The main stack is represented by the bulkhead by the toilet, so hopefully not too expensive.

We just desire seperate tub/shower, because the room is big enough for it. It's about 12ft by 7.5ft.

Good comments about turning the laundry into a closet, and having a stacked WD instead of side-by-side. Want to keep laundry out of the basement because it's a long way down and unfinished.

We just desire seperate tub/shower, because the room is big enough for it. It's about 12ft by 7.5ft..

what kind of bath tub are you considering and size - free standing or standard fixed ?

would you rather have separate areas for the tub and shower like your plan, or a water closet combo with shower next to tub?

since the area is so large, have you considered 2 smaller separate washrooms or 1 large one is fine?

Last edited:
what kind of bath tub are you considering and size - free standing or standard fixed ?

Free standing. Not sure where to put the faucet for the tub, since the "left" wall is an outside wall and pipes in an exterior wall seems like a bad idea. Maybe they will go in the closet wall?

would you rather have separate areas for the tub and shower like your plan, or a water closet combo with shower next to tub?

Good call, we have the square footage for it. I'm all about a large-ish shower.

since the area is so large, have you considered 2 smaller separate washrooms or 1 large one is fine?

We thought about that. There is a small washroom on the third floor already, so we decided to go for laundry instead. It might not be the best choice for resale, but given we will be living here for 5+ years so it makes sense to design for us rather than the next owner. I think changing the laundry room into a closet will be simple enough.

Free standing. Not sure where to put the faucet for the tub, since the "left" wall is an outside wall and pipes in an exterior wall seems like a bad idea. Maybe they will go in the closet wall? .

how big is the tub? it seems larger than standard 30" x 60".
since this is a TH/rowhouse, it shouldn't be an issue with pipes if you're concerned about cold on exterior wall; or is there something else you're worried about?

I'm all about a large-ish shower..
would 2'6" x 5'0" be large enough for you if i do a w/c tub + shower combo?

so we decided to go for laundry instead. It might not be the best choice for resale, but given we will be living here for 5+ years so it makes sense to design for us rather than the next owner. I think changing the laundry room into a closet will be simple enough.

woud you rather have a walk-in closet for the 2nd bedroom with a window, or a smaller 5ft closet with an extra window allowing light into bedroom?

edit:

here's a little something without completely knowing what you want.

tub/shower/laundry are all along the top half of the bathroom ... should make for easier plumbing, etc.
the tub is next to window allowing natural light to flow inside and the tub + shower are enclosed in glass.
keep in mind that i'm assuming you have vinyl windows or something that will hold up to moisture ... if not, then it willhave to be reconfigured.
the laundry is side-by-side and opens into hallway with bi-fold doors so it won't impede too much when open.

toilet and vanity are along the lower half of the room ... but the entry door will have to be moved to accomodate.

thoughts ?

Attachments

• floorplan.JPG
    floorplan.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Back