News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 561     0 

Thoughts on Streetcars

^
Even if you bought new vehicles, they wouldn't stop being streetcars. Streetcars are a type of LRT.

^
I think you know what I mean -- streetcars as in the current stock -- of refurbished old type streetcar -- which is more for esthetics than for efficient use.

LRT as in a new modern rail system where the cars of a newer design (I don't consider the Spadina Line to be an LRT even though it is called one) -- easy access -- lower, etc.

Either way, the new ROW systems are a good first step -- but only a first step. The redesigned lines should be LRT only with a different signalling system. The signals should be seperate for the LRT than for cars. The LRT should be able to control the signals so that when it is ready to leave -- the lights are in their favour (overridden). The crossing traffic would get the red signal, the traffic going the same direction would stay on the signal as before (red or green), and once the LRT is clear the signalling would return to normal patterns. The LRT should not have too many stops (i.e. closer to subway stop distance -- not bus stop distance). Basically decreasing the LRT travel times so that it makes it a much more desirable method of travel.

I love streetcars. In San Francisco, they run underground too! London, England is planning two cross-town routes, opening I think around 2012. Two nice websites are www.lightrail.com for North America or www.lrta.org for Europe.

MY STREETCAR AND TROLLEY THOUGHTS - LRT?

Everyone: I believe that Toronto was one of the smartest cities in North America to keep its streetcar/trolley(the name depends on the city that you are from) system. The CLRV has been good for the TTC and those restored Red Rocket PCCs have been good on lines like the Spadina line. I believe that the King or Queen line should have been replaced by an underground subway line-or a tunnel downtown under the street chosen to allow the streetcar line to operate unimpeded. My belief is that rail transit will always be preferable to a bus-provided that rail vehicle does not have to deal with the same street traffic and congestion. LI MIKE

Back