News   Apr 19, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 609     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Then and Now: Yonge/Dundas and area

I'm assuming this was near their 279 Yonge Street location, but I haven't found corroborating photographic evidence of that yet. :)

The Childs sign.. both pics were taken on the same section of street? How wonderful and fascinating.

The good shoes on your maternal grandfather.. the hats on the ladies, just great.

Can you or one of the older folks in your family tell us what street and location exactly?

I'm assuming this was near their 279 Yonge Street location, but I haven't found corroborating photographic evidence of that yet. :)

173882242_cc5429a0fb_o.jpg

jacklovy.jpg

Very cool pictures/story btw!

c5f08070.png

construction activity at this old divey hotel today on the southwest corner of Bay and Elm. (this photo is from a while back, metal siding was removed last summer)...they've completely gutted the inside, and a worker told me they are converting it to a 'boutique hotel'....hmmm....

That extremely hamfisted renovation of that Victorian coupled with Prii's quite strange and generally unloved building in the background give that scene an almost comedic quality.

Not to mention, of course, the happy-face-in-bed logo of the former Bay St Hotel...

Not to mention, of course, the happy-face-in-bed logo of the former Bay St Hotel...

The Critics Are Raving!:

“This place scares flys awayâ€
“Worst Ever!â€
“Nightmare, scarred mentally for life!â€
“Bring Rat traps, Raid and a nose clipâ€
“Oh my freaking god !!â€
“Anyone should visit it ONCE. Just to see.â€

truly scarifying and hilarious reviews of that world class epic dump here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ews-The_Bay_Street_Motel-Toronto_Ontario.html

their website makes it look like it was a normal cheapo hotel option:

f6744206.png

015f45ee.png

One more of that corner between those two dates. Early 80's? (from a slightly different vantage point):

s1465_fl0020_id0004.jpg

i like that iteration of the building...ahh, canvas awnings...(eyes misting over). anyway, looks very appropriate for what it is. unlike that "Egg Themed Restaurant" that is currently uhm, befowling that corner...

The Critics Are Raving!:

“This place scares flys away”
“Worst Ever!”
“Nightmare, scarred mentally for life!”
“Bring Rat traps, Raid and a nose clip”
“Oh my freaking god !!”
“Anyone should visit it ONCE. Just to see.”

truly scarifying and hilarious reviews of that world class epic dump here:

They should call it "Bed Bugs On the Inn".

A photo I took of 650 Bay St, in February of 1988, when it was the New Asia House hotel, and Loywood Medical Pharmacy. Note the car sales and service building to the south, which burned down years ago. It's sheathed in that horrific cheese grater cladding ... three other structures that I remember with that cladding, all of which have since, thankfully, had it removed, are the TD Bank at Spadina and Queen St W, sw corner, the old Woolworths on Yonge, at Queen St W, nw corner, and that odd merchandise mart building on King St W, at Brant St, ne corner.

007-089-n018v2.jpg

Back