News   Jul 22, 2024
 620     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 639     0 

The Weather

On the downside, I haven't skated, skied, or snowboarded at all this year.
Many of the cities outdoor ice rinks are open. The big ski hills outside the city are partly open. Even Earl Bales and Centennial are partly open.

I'm not sure I'll bother clearing away the snow tonight, since most of it'll melt tomorrow.
Been walking around this afternoon. Most people have shovelled their piece of the city sidewalk ... but a few haven't, and it's really messy.

What get's me is the one neighbour who did their pathway, and even the sidewalk, but couldn't be bothered with the 8 feet piece of sidewalk in front of their driveway.

When I left the house at 10:30 this morning most of it had already melted from my steps and the sidewalk.
Must have been less snow downtown. It didn't melt on the sidewalks here (Coxwell) until late-afternoon. Haven't been downtown since Monday ... home sick.

I'm on the north side of the street, and even in the winter the sun beats down on my little Winter Palace something fierce.

The recent Canadian climate change adaptation study forecast a 2070 Toronto average temperature around 4 degrees warmer than current norms, 12 months a year, which about the average temperature in Philadelphia now. The current mild winter seems to be an indication of Toronto's future climate, at least if the models are accurate.

The recent Canadian climate change adaptation study forecast a 2070 Toronto average temperature around 4 degrees warmer than current norms, 12 months a year, which about the average temperature in Philadelphia now. The current mild winter seems to be an indication of Toronto's future climate, at least if the models are accurate.
I've always wanted to live in a place with a milder/shorter winter. I'm just sad it's climate change that's likely to give it to me.

This isn't winter. 2-4cm of snow a half dozen times and then it warms up a day or so later and we're back to 2-10C for several days. How about a good, old fashioned, 40cm snowfall that actually sticks around for a while!

Looks like that spring arrives Monday ... and then it appears we've broken the back of this long, hard, winter:

I've always wanted to live in a place with a milder/shorter winter. I'm just sad it's climate change that's likely to give it to me.
I've always believed that there are winners and losers in all cases of climate change. Warmer oceans may kill off coral, but grow more jellyfish.... Bad for the coral, fish and scuba, etc, but good for the jellies.

Canada stands to gain a great deal through a warmer global climate. There's a lot of negatives of course, but we always mention those, and ignore the real benefits to Canada, such as longer growing seasons, greater access to the north, Ontario's first year old ocean port In Hudsons Bay with the ability to ship cargo both to the Atlantic and Pacific.

Back