News   May 03, 2024
 192     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 932     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 261     0 

The Weather

I did read that the Earth has been in a 'cooling' phase and will remain in one for the next few decades.

If you don't like snow, that's too bad as a Colorado Low is approaching for this coming Friday/Saturday. We can expect 30cms of snowfall.

Doggies do love snow! My dog use to love it so much, hoping around and getting lost in it. That salt is mean on those paws though. Cute dog!

Weather summary for all of southern Ontario and
The national capital region
Issued by environment canada Toronto at 6:19 am est sunday 18 january

Significant snowfall across parts of southern Ontario last night.
-------------------------------------------------------------
==weather event discussion==

A low pressure area..The centre of which is moving into ski
Country from Lake Huron..Brought a significant snowfall to much of
southern Ontario last night. This snowstorm spawned snowfall
Warnings for the greater Toronto to Kitchener areas on saturday with
some locales in the warning area having received 15 to 25 cm of the
white stuff overnight. Snowfall amounts varied considerably even
Over small areas due to the location of embedded lake effect
snowbands. One of these lake effect snowbands came in off Lake
Ontario across central parts of Toronto to Downsview then to
Woodbridge dumping quite a thick blanket of snow in these locales.

Warnings have been discontinued early this morning as only a few
more centimetres of light snow are on tap for today as the lingering
low pressure system weakens slowly.

The table below shows snowfall amounts received by environment
canada as of 6 am unless otherwise noted. This table may be updated
later today as more reports of significant snowfall amounts are
received.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Location snowfall amount (cm)

Windsor 9
Sarnia 9 (est'd)
Tillsonburg 12 (as of 11 pm last night)
London 12 (est'd)
Hamilton Mount Hope 6
Cambridge 12 (as of 10 pm last night)
Kitchener Stanley park 13 (as of 11 pm last night)
Woodbridge 18
Toronto Downsview 23
Toronto east York 8 (as of 11 pm last night)
Toronto downtown 10 (est'd)
Toronto Buttonville 12
Trenton 11
Kingston 12

I did read that the Earth has been in a 'cooling' phase and will remain in one for the next few decades.

If you don't like snow, that's too bad as a Colorado Low is approaching for this coming Friday/Saturday. We can expect 30cms of snowfall.

Doggies do love snow! My dog use to love it so much, hoping around and getting lost in it. That salt is mean on those paws though. Cute dog!

ahh White Gold!!

So this is global warming? Feels more like the next ice-age is beginning with the past & current winter.
Last winter was above-average temperature and above-average precipitation - exactly what global warming is predicting.

This winter has been cold for the last couple of weeks - but you can't use a couple of weeks data to look at climate change.

Last winter was above-average temperature and above-average precipitation - exactly what global warming is predicting

Average as compared to what? The example you site is a typical weather pattern, nothing more. The funny thing is that the years where snow fall was below average, that was blamed on global warming too. It seems kind of silly to blame every type of weather variation on global warming.

Besides, breaking a one-hundred year record by a few centimetres is not extraordinary.

This winter has been cold for the last couple of weeks - but you can't use a couple of weeks data to look at climate change.

So why do you use last winter as a means to support your earlier suggestion that it was caused by global warming? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

And as a final note, climate always changes. There is always variation in the climate record.

That being said, I still want a snowfall record.
Sorry khristoper.

Average as compared to what?
Average as compared to previous years. Above-average snowfall. For temperatures, I have weather data for GTA stations, and if you run averages over the winter, last year was a bit above average - which isn't suprising, as there just wasn't any of the long-cold snaps we get most winters (like last week).

The funny thing is that the years where snow fall was below average, that was blamed on global warming too. It seems kind of silly to blame every type of weather variation on global warming.
Agreed. Just pointing out that the climate models for global warming suggest increased precipitation (haven't seen ones that called for reduced precipitation - I'd question whoever said that!).

Besides, breaking a one-hundred year record by a few centimetres is not extraordinary.
No - but somewhat tiring on the back!

So why do you use last winter as a means to support your earlier suggestion that it was caused by global warming? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
??? I didn't suggest it was caused by global warming. Someone had earlier implied that we shouldn't be getting more snow with global warming - and I was pointing out that wasn't the case.

Sorry khristoper.
You want to come and shovel out the alley beside my house then? I'd complain about the pile of snow on the street, but I was surpised to find it had vanished yesterday - which is certainly the earliest I've ever seen City of Toronto trucking the snow on the sidestreets before!

Agreed. Just pointing out that the climate models for global warming suggest increased precipitation (haven't seen ones that called for reduced precipitation - I'd question whoever said that!)

??? I didn't suggest it was caused by global warming. Someone had earlier implied that we shouldn't be getting more snow with global warming - and I was pointing out that wasn't the case.

For nearly twenty years GCM's have consistently failed to predict natural climate events (ENSO, La Nina, etc). They also lack the resolving power to predict local climate variations. These models are very simplistic representations of global climate at best. As for precipitation, the hypothesis that a tiny amount of carbon dioxide somehow drives or regulates it is without any proof. However, there is a considerable evidence for the opposite: that water vapour controls and regulates atmospheric carbon dioxide.

You want to come and shovel out the alley beside my house then? I'd complain about the pile of snow on the street, but I was surpised to find it had vanished yesterday - which is certainly the earliest I've ever seen City of Toronto trucking the snow on the sidestreets before!

Only if you come and shovel the alley behind my place. ;) Unfortunately, I'm not responsible for the snowfall or for how the city moves it (or pretends to), I just want a record purely for the fun and games of it. I lived through one snow record in Montreal in the early 1970's. It was, however, smaller than the record of 1899-1900 (including a 100 inch dumping in one shot).

Sorry khristoper.

*glares in your direction* I do wonder what we're at in totals so far...

On the topic of global warming, it is definitely used way too much to describe current weather patterns.

^Should one assume you have a driveway to shovel? ;)

I live in a condo, so I actually watch people shovel. I'd be out of practice, so nfitz would probably be unhappy about the quality of my work. Even my window-cleaning technique sucks when I get a Zip Car on a snowy day.

Could be one of those snow allergies. They typically kick in around January or February.

Back