1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

The War on Woodbine

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
woodbinea.jpg

Thanks androiduk. I had no idea what this area even looked like - never had a reason to go up there.

The 1902 school is touching.

Why does the monster home - the one with the barn behind it - have such tiny cheap Home Depot type windows? And not enough of them. The ground floor msut be a cave inside. And the cheap side door...

Simply disgusting. I will never understand why so many people choose to live that way.

And why are the streets so wide???

Schoolhouse .. at one time, in the 60s thru the 80s, it was the done thing to re-adapt and re-use an old school house as a residence. This was a theme that ran through many Canadian periodicals of the time; the pictorials would show bandana-ed and granny skirted women watering plants hanging from crocheted ropes.:)

Thanks androiduk. I had no idea what this area even looked like - never had a reason to go up there.

The 1902 school is touching.

Why does the monster home - the one with the barn behind it - have such tiny cheap Home Depot type windows? And not enough of them. The ground floor msut be a cave inside. And the cheap side door...

I'll bet you can find almost identical pictures from 50 years ago when neighbourhoods like Yonge/Lawrence or Don Mills were being built.

I'm often in that area, as I cycle on the sideroads during the Summer. I see the changes first hand. Your photos depict the urban sprawl beautifully.

If you remember what Elgin Mills and Woodbine looked like just a few years ago. One year you had the driving range just north of Woodbine at Elgin Mills bustling with golfers, the next year it's abandoned (sold).

Not only are there For Sale signs on Woodbine, but if you continue North on Warden, McCowan, Kennedy, you'll find parcels of land for sale and itching for development.

That church was there way before. I really don't understand why a subdivision would be based around a church?? :confused: That's just weird!

ya, because you know, history has shown that communities have nothing to do with churches and vice versa.

^^ Communities are not based solely around churches. And most modern communities don't focus on religious institutions, but rather stores, offices, civic buildings, transportation, etc. This whole development is just stupid.

Unbelievable. I remember this area well as it used to be, when as a kid my parents used to take us out on Sunday drives in their old beater of a Satellite. I'm pretty sure that there used to be a butcher that used the red shed.

Back