News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 558     0 

the Star: TTC's role in GTA transit

Re: Transit

I see problems with what I through out there. It would have to be residental only - not commerical, institutional or agricultural. And it would have to make up a small part of the property tax and phased in - some lots are big to accomodate septic tanks, which could be unfair.

It would have to be a "transportation/infrastructure" tax - larger lots are more expensive to service, not just transit, but water/wastewater, roads, etc.

As for the already low density areas, the provinical government (or the new GTA transportation authority) should send out the word that if you want more transit, get your house in order by increasing your densities by RE-designing your current low density areas.

I hope I'm reading your proposal correctly... if current low-density suburbs are going to get more transit, then they need to add more density?

If that is a yes, then I'm very skeptical about this plan. Increasing the density in suburban areas increases population and thus ridership, but the area that needs to be served by transit remains the same as before. The TTC is already stretched to its limits serving suburban areas at current density with the buses that it has. Increasing demand in the suburbs would blow this problem wide open. It's a nice idea, but I don't think it could work with the current situation.

My bus route is an example of what I'm talking about: 129 McCowan North in north Scarborough. When I first came to the area in the early 1990s, most of the neighbourhoods on McCowan Road were single family homes occupied by single families. Since then much has changed. Those who could afford to move out of the area moved to bigger homes in Richmond Hill and Markham, and their old homes were converted into boarding houses for new immigrants from mainland China, most of whom can't afford a car and rely on the TTC to get around. So now you have multiple families living in single family homes. Add to that four new condo towers at Finch and McCowan, plus many other Asian immigrant families that have moved to the McCowan area and also need transit. The density around my bus route has certainly gone up, but the service doesn't seem to have increased with the increase in density in this area.

McCowan probably isn't the only route in the city with this problem. This is happening all over Toronto's inner suburbs. It's a monumental task for the TTC just to improve service to the suburbs today. God knows what will happen if this same TTC has to serve these same suburbs with higher densities.

The idea of combining transit with planning has worked. In places like Singapore and Hong Kong, planning focuses on telling developers where to build. Development in suburban areas are only allowed in "new towns" where high-density residential towers are built around a subway station, while development is banned from the rest of the suburbs. Unfortunately this is not the way planning works in North America, which is sprawl-oriented, and planning only tells developers where not to build (such as the Greenbelt). With so much development-friendly land available around the GTA, it's next to impossible given the current context to apply Hong Kong-style planning to the Toronto area.

It's happening in Brampton - many South Asian households have multiple families in one house. What happens is that one family that is established buys a house, then helps out newly arrived relatives by sharing the house (which can be quite large). Once that family gets on their feet, they often get their own place. I figure many immigrant families work like that - I guess it works out well, but "density" shows up as being higher than it would appear.

Brampton got a 12% increase in transit usage last year, well surpassing the 10,000,000 mark in ridership, with little increase in density. Population growth per year is at most 1/3 that.

I wish it were a more integrated model, similar to TfL (Transport for London).

JohnnyStalenko - ttc's main problem isn't planning dept. As Steve Munro will tell you, it's the Roads Dept who refuse to countenance reduction in private vehicle capacity in favour of pedestrian/cycle/transit.

As for co-ordination, I'd like to see this as a first step - if I have a metropass+express sticker I can use some or all GO services wholly within the 416, bus or train. Now people in York/Etobicoke/Scarborough/North York have an express route, TTC don't have to extend high capacity modes like subway into low capacity neighbourhoods and GO gets a cut from TTC. TTC buses could feed GO stations just as they do subway stations, but that would require a smart card I think.

"Now people in York/Etobicoke/Scarborough/North York have an express route, TTC don't have to extend high capacity modes like subway into low capacity neighbourhoods and GO gets a cut from TTC."

Problems: GO frequency on many routes is pitiful, requiring billion$ in upgrades; since TTC routes would have to partially funnel into GO stations to be of any use, which becomes the priority - GO or the subway?; and many suburban neighbourhoods are just as dense as those that already have subways and ridership on some suburban routes would be very high...for the people taking epic bus routes every day, imagine how ridership would explode if you gave them a faster, more direct option?

scarberian - after the Union track, signalling and extra platform upgrading one would hope that more frequency would be forthcoming with a reduction in dwell time and an increase in approach speed to Union with a more logical track layout. That money is being spent anyway. If GO get the airport link as I think they should GO frequencies in the Weston corridor will start looking attractive.

^ Some money is already being spent, but it may not do a heck of a lot for GO corridors like Stouffville, which I think would cost hundreds of millions to double track, build overpasses (there's almost 20 at-grade road crossings between the 401 and Major Mac, for instance), buy trains and employ drivers, etc. Since the GO bus can get you from Markham to Union station in under 25 minutes as is, the GO trains would have to really be improved for people to willingly incorporate it into their daily transit trips using some sort of GTA-wide fare system.

Back