News   May 01, 2024
 207     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 766     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 430     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

Ah now those were the days! I remember going to visit my grandma, we would walk down the street to Tim's and get one of those coconut cream pies out the spinning cooler to go. They were so good! I couldn't imagine how horrible those cakes and pies would taste if they were made at Tim Horton's today.

I wonder if the taste hasn't really changed much, but it's just that there are so many gourmet options nowadays that our tastes and preferences have evolved. There was a time when independent coffee shops and Starbucks were rarities you'd only find in certain communities. Those communities were often just one area in downtown with a lot of students and a handful of affluent neighbourhoods. Now, there are so many options that even if Tim's started making everything fresh again, few people would probably be impressed. There's more choice now to get what you like.

Didn't Tim's change its supplier? I'm not a coffee drinker but that's what my friends say -- that it hasn't been good since that change.

Didn't Tim's change its supplier? I'm not a coffee drinker but that's what my friends say -- that it hasn't been good since that change.

Yep - it was mentioned pages ago that they ditched their old supplier - and McD's promptly swooped in. The change in taste has nothing to do with it being relative to the availibility of other options.

AoD

Yep - it was mentioned pages ago that they ditched their old supplier - and McD's promptly swooped in. The change in taste has nothing to do with it being relative to the availibility of other options.

AoD
It's problematic however if Tim's has both the worst coffee on the block and the worst food options on the block.

It's problematic however if Tim's has both the worst coffee on the block and the worst food options on the block.

True, but then we are back to the whole consistency/familiarity vs. quality debate, and it is telling that even changing the blend of coffee didn't affect them as much as it should.

AoD

I find it interesting that Lick's decline practically coincided with the rise of Hero Certified Burgers.

That was their reasoning. When they closed the beaches location they began to downsize on the premise that boutique burger locations like Burgers Priest were popping up everywhere.

What I noticed personally was that they were selling out. They had a good product and tried to commercialize it by selling frozen patties and their sauces in grocery stores. It was around this time that they went from making fresh in house patties and fries to using boxed frozen burgers and bagged fries. The quality went down but the prices stayed the same.

What made Licks what it was is the older locations. The Beaches and Cliffside locations were idyllic locations that personified that 1950s atmosphere licks was trying to portray. The newer locations were more modern and compact losing that 1950s diner feel.

I received Tim Hortons coupons in the mail for the first time ever. A sign of desperation?
I also received them in the mail.
McDonalds and other fast food restaurants do the same.
McDonalds' coupons don't need to be surrendered upon using them. In other words, you get to keep McDonalds' coupons until they expire, no matter how often you use them. Other fast-food joints' coupons are surrendered upon using them (and I receive coupons from several fast-food joints).

I received Tim Hortons coupons in the mail for the first time ever. A sign of desperation?

Hahaa...desperation on their part was my first thought when they made their very swift trip from my post box to the recycling bin not a metre away.

McDonalds' coupons don't need to be surrendered upon using them. In other words, you get to keep McDonalds' coupons until they expire, no matter how often you use them.

For real?

Nice....corporate social control through shitty health.

I got them to. I don't think i ever got Horton's coupons before. Maybe they are just jumping on the band wagon?

I got them to. I don't think i ever got Horton's coupons before. Maybe they are just jumping on the band wagon?

I have got them before but I usually toss them. No amount of coupons could convince me to go there.

I actually re-gifted around 200 dollars in Tims Cards this past Christmas because I really prefer not to go there. $200 in free coffee and yet I still refuse to go there.

Back