News   Apr 24, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 712     1 

The Retail Apocalypse

Fine, fine. 16 years ago. It is an "outlet" mall, but a lot of the main tenants are just regular retailers. I feel like it's more of a hybrid these days.. I'm not a fan of it regardless.

Sherway seems to be getting hit good, I predict William Sonoma will close there and maybe a few others. Funny thing is Cloverdale may have more foot traffic at the moment due to Rexall, Metro, LCBO and Dollarama.

Last edited:
Sherway seems to be getting hit good, I predict William Sonoma will close there and maybe a few others. Funny think is Cloverdale may have more foot traffic at the moment due to Rexall, Metro, LCBO and Dollarama.

Sherway sucks now. It's just a bunch of clothing shops. Cloverdale, despite its dumpy nature, has a far greater variety of retail.

Don't forget that Sherway's most profitable retailer, , is closed due to the virus.

Which is that? I miss the old Sherway, It's lost so much of it soul and just blah now. I think a arcade in the old Victoria secret location would do well.

Everyone is now learning how to shop for everything online. Even those heretofore reluctant online shoppers are realizing how easily they can buy clothing, electronics, hardware, food, pet products, pharmaceuticals and alcohol online. I imagine many of these previously bricks and mortar retail diehards will not be coming back.

Everyone is now learning how to shop for everything online. Even those heretofore reluctant online shoppers are realizing how easily they can buy clothing, electronics, hardware, food, pet products, pharmaceuticals and alcohol online. I imagine many of these previously bricks and mortar retail diehards will not be coming back.
I wonder if we will see emergence of stores like this in malls:

1585324542444.png

That is a shoe store, where you walk up to a terminal, find the product you want in the size you want, and someone brings it to you from the back. There is no displays otherwise.

Shop online in-store! ?

Aren't a lot of malls already repurposing for mixed use anyways? Oakridge in Vancouver, Square One, Cloverdale, Bayview Village etc.

Ultimately if they want to be sustainable, they'll need more traffic and residential helps. I don't think all retail will disappear (a lot will, don't get me wrong) but there is still some need for physical stores albeit to a lesser extent.

Back