234     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 767     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 797     0 

The Plague of EIFS

Surprised this beauty hasn't been rolled out:

View attachment 19749
Heh. I used to live in that complex. However, I was in a townhouse... which ironically was brick.
This is the view from right behind that EIFS building, looking at its sister brick condo townhouses.

11-niagara-exterior.jpg

...and there is one semi-detached house on St. Patrick St. that has its other half demolished.
Is that the one that had the improper underpinning done and then collapsed on itself? If so, one of the neighbours called the police about the place making strange noises. The police didn't believe him, but came out anyway, and minutes later it collapsed. I heard a rumour that the other side may also have to be demolished.

EDIT:

Nope. It was Roxton Road, near Ossington.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/04/17/house_in_little_italy_collapses.html

image.jpg

Last edited:
that one on the left doesn't look like its going to make it...
According to this article, the city hasn't condemned it yet:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...oronto_house_collapse_still_cant_go_home.html

However, the tenants in that half have been told they're not allowed back in for probably 4-6 months… assuming the city doesn't condemn it. The engineers don't know yet if it really can be salvaged, but they seem somewhat optimistic.

BTW, if I a prospective buyer, I'd avoid it like the plague (not the EIFS type), even after it was fixed.

P.S. Is that a solar water heater on the roof for the semi on the right?

Look at that poor bungalow next to it. I second the motion above, where exactly was this one located?

Guys, we need to stop one of the biggest disasters this list has ever seen:

14475482684_8e884215bd_b.jpg

14475379242_690568f9cc_c.jpg

The owners of Maple Leaf Quay are 'modernizing' their building, and they think painting it to 'match' other waterfront condos is a good idea. I called them and told them this is a terrible mistake, but I need more people to explain to them that if anything, this will bring property values down.

Please email their manager at:

alex@mapleleafquay.net

There may still be time to stop the whole thing and save this dignified high-profile waterfront building from becoming a an architectural scar. Pictures don't do the awfulness of the new treatment justice.

This site will be somewhat of a heritage site in the future, and we should protect its integrity while we can:

8583842.jpg

Back