News   May 03, 2024
 217     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 576     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

The Pittsburgh T

I would suggest that change is difficult without people actually putting thought into their votes. Look at some of the rabid anti-conservatism on this site alone....and the Harper Conservatives are still more liberal than the US Democrats! With attitudes like that, I would suggest that Toronto will never really be able to win any attention. The Maritimes are excellent examples of how to get what you want. They aren't particularly loyal to any party and they expect the party they elected to deliver. Ditto for Quebec.

The Harper conservatives are not more liberal than US Democrats, and to suggest as such is pretty silly. While I agree they have more moderate social policies (ever so slightly) they are not a left leaning party in any way.

Keith, you consistently say I don't understand, I don't know this or don't know that... The only thing I can say is that this thread is really about the Pittsburgh T.

So far as Toronto goes, I support heavy rail transit expansions to meet the growing needs of the region. And I support the Toronto and Ontario governments to approach Ottawa in asking for assistance.

And I don't like the Harper government, but that is immaterial to this discussion as I just want funding to be available for Toronto regardless what party is in power.

Stop making everything into a complicated matter where you think no one else understands anything.

Here's a comparison worth making. The Pittsburgh T is getting a 1.2 mile extension (I misquoted earlier that it was 1.6 miles, but apparently its 1.2).

According to this article, its $435 million total, and 80% of it is being funded by the Federal Transit Commission under the Department of Transportation.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08208/899776-85.stm

If it takes Pittsburgh spending US$435 million to expand the T only 1.2 miles, I'd hate to imagine how much it'd cost to build a high quality LRT system in Toronto. The cost/benefit doesn't seem to outweigh the need to expand the subway system.

Anyway, I found another article spelling out exactly how the latest T extension has been funded in Pittsburgh.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06252/720421-147.stm

U.S. gives green light to tunnel under river
Saturday, September 09, 2006
By Caitlin Cleary, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The last piece of the bureaucratic puzzle finally snapped into place for the $435 million North Shore Connector project, a twin-tunnel extension of the Light Rail Transit system under the Allegheny River.

The Federal Transit Administration has committed to funding 80 percent of the cost of the Port Authority project, or $348 million, clearing the way for construction to begin this fall.

The 1.2-mile extension will be the most transit work Downtown has seen since the early 1980s, when Port Authority built the subway. It will take an estimated 41/2 years to complete the construction.

The cost breakdown also includes $72.5 million in state money and $14.5 million from Allegheny County. Port Authority officials hope the North Shore Connector project will spur development, as well as future light-rail extensions between Oakland and the airport.

So the local government in Allegheny County is paying $14.5 million and the city is paying nothing, and the Port Authority of Allegheny County is paying nothing, for the T extension's capital expansion costs.

I am sorry that the discussion went off track...but hey it's a forum about T.O.

I strongly agree that the feds should contribute to transit in Canada. However, based on our constitution surface transport is a provincial responsibility. This makes it extremely unlikely that Canada will ever have something like the US Federal Transit Administration. I can see a number of provinces opposing that move, possibly even Ontario. Indeed, that's exactly why Canada still doesn't have a national transit strategy. And so because of that situation, the Feds will continue to pick and choose which projects they will invest in. Hence, the line in from Peterborough....and investment in GO and Via, which are likely to service Conservative held ridings. The Liberals did the same thing when in power....that's why the Spadina extension is going to a grass field in Vaughan and the Montreal subway system has grown as fast as it did.

As for costing US435 million for the 1.2 miles extension of the T, I would think that this would likely be because the system involves tunneling, complex urban terrain, land acquisitions, etc. Here's an estimate based on TTC estimates:

http://lrt.daxack.ca/LRTvsHRT/CostCompare.html

Yes, the website advocates LRT, but they are the TTC's own numbers. And based on these numbers LRT would seem to be a better choice and could probably be scaled up to heavy rail should ridership justify it. But I come back to the issue of operating funds. TTC is funded by its riders - 80% of revenue from the farebox. It is unlikely that it could support heavy rail without serious government annual support. It would seem to me that Pittsburg probably has this. They've built a great system. Kudos to them. And its a model that appears to have won over our transit commissioners.

I'm not even sure I advocate a federal transit division in Ottawa, all I'm saying is that Toronto and Ontario should approach the federal government and make a serious, unified case for expansion of the TTC subway in my opinion. All they need to do is get one time capital funding from Ottawa to expand the TTC subway, and I think a good start would be to demolish the Scarborough RT, and create a new TTC subway system from Kennedy to Scarborough then back around to Victoria Park. Second to that I think they should expand Kipling to the airport. After these important projects are completed, then they should look into finally creating the Eglinton cross-town line they talked about years ago.

If Mississauga wants to create a light rail system, let them create their own system. They have GO transit to get to the city if they want to get to Toronto. Its a suburb, its not Toronto. There shouldn't be a subway from MCC to Kipling. Maybe a new express bus fleet if necessary if people from MCC want to get to Kipling and there is growing demand, but why would there need to be a LRT from Toronto to MCC? Technically the airport is in Mississauga, but it makes sense expanding the TTC to the airport instead of MCC.

As a completely separate system, it would be great if they could create a high quality LRT system up and down Hurontario and transform MCC as well as Mississauga as a whole. I'd love to see Square One get connected to Port Credit with a LRT, but that's not the job of the TTC.

BTW, in regards to the funding of the T, the reason it costs so much for this project is that you are right, it is a huge tunnel that isn't just cut-and-cover, its a bore-underground that goes underneath a major river system.

But isn't that the point of what I'm trying to say? In order to build a PROPER and DECENT LRT system you have to spend as much money as heavy rail. Otherwise you get a half-baked system that has sections in-traffic and using trains that don't have the capacity a city like Toronto needs.

This works great for Pittsburgh because its a smaller city. Remember, the T gets an average of 30,000 riders/day. About 90,000 workers a day use the Port Authority system to get to their downtown jobs, so only 33% of riders are using the T. 66% of transit users still use a bus because hundreds of thousands of people live north and east of the city (as well as west) in areas not served by any rail... The T is great for Pittsburgh and it works for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh isn't Toronto.

Toronto needs more capacity, LRT isn't right for expanding to the airport or to Scarborough. The Scarborough RT is a prime example of what not to do, because that is heavy grade light rail.

Why pay a lot of money for a substitute? Why not get the real deal and get it done right the first time?

Keith, I just mapped it out on some software on my computer.

The distance between Kennedy to Scarborough Centre up over the 401 and back across Sheppard all the way to Don Mills is 14km.

Depending on how much of the track needs to be underground at Sheppard, the cost of building a full high quality TTC subway to replace the Scarborough RT and finish Sheppard appropriately would be between CAD$2.1 and 2.5 billion.

All Toronto has to do is get its act together, get some help from Ottawa (see if they can pitch in $1 billion) and you solve two problems in one swipe: the Scarborough RT problem and the problem of the Sheppard subway just ending at Fairview Mall.

The maintenance can be handled by existing TTC systems, it'll be all the same technology and they can entirely disband the wasteful upkeep of the Scarborough RT and sell that equipment to cities willing to buy the old equipment.

LRT is a waste, you spend nearly as much as a subway and you get bad results for a city like Toronto.

Scarborough RT is filled to the brim with people, and its higher grade than most LRT systems in north america because its a high quality system for light rail.

I'm not even sure I advocate a federal transit division in Ottawa, all I'm saying is that Toronto and Ontario should approach the federal government and make a serious, unified case for expansion of the TTC subway in my opinion.

It's been tried...repeatedly with every party of every stripe...for as long as I can remember. The TTC goes hand in cap to the province for funding annually. At the end of the day, transit is a provincial responsibility. The feds aren't going to contribute that much to an agency they have no control over.

But isn't that the point of what I'm trying to say? In order to build a PROPER and DECENT LRT system you have to spend as much money as heavy rail. Otherwise you get a half-baked system that has sections in-traffic and using trains that don't have the capacity a city like Toronto needs.

I'd disagree with this point. Toronto is unique in that it has a lot of wide ROWs on streets in its inner suburbs (scarborough, etobicoke, north york) and reserved ROWs through unused hydro corridors (like the one being used for the Scarborough RT extension). The city planned for light rail or bus ROW on many of these avenues and its now simply putting the plan into action. What Toronto wants is not Pittsburg style grade separated LRT. It wants LRT that can handle about 10 000 pax/day/direction. This is around streetcar level of service. There are many on this forum who would say that even LRT might be overkill. The goal is for LRT to feed into the heavy rail network which will become the trunk lines for those heading downtown.

LRT fulfills a community need. Many TTC riders travel just within their communities and those trips account for just as many as the riders who commute to/from downtown. With the exception of work, most residents stick to their boroughs for most of their activities. The goal of Transit City is to provide improved improved service for these travellers as well. If we think of TO as a sum of the former boroughs this makes a lot of sense.

This works great for Pittsburgh because its a smaller city. Remember, the T gets an average of 30,000 riders/day. About 90,000 workers a day use the Port Authority system to get to their downtown jobs, so only 1/3rd of riders are using the T. That's great for Pittsburgh and it works for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh isn't Toronto.

Actually, comparing Pittsburgh to a TO borough...like my hometown of Scarborough, we see that the populations are not that different and Pittsburgh has an even higher population density making mass transit (particularly rail) more feasible.

Toronto needs more capacity, LRT isn't right for expanding to the airport or to Scarborough. The Scarborough RT is a prime example of what not to do, because that is heavy grade light rail.

+1 to you. Toronto does need more capacity. And the Scarborough RT is not an example of what to do. It should have been a streetcar line (or a network) all along, resulting in completely different development patterns in Scarborough and a culture of transit.

But there is reality. Scarborough has developed as a low density inner suburb which makes heavy rail unsustainable east of McCowan (upto Markham is debatable) and north of the 401. Heck, I live in Malvern and would love a subway there, but I know its not wise use of taxpayer dollars. You should hear scarberiankhatru's views on this...if you think I am being harsh....and he's from scarborough!

With regards to the airport, it will eventually be served by the Blue 22 proposal, the crosstown Eglinton LRT (for hops in the west end near the airport), possibly a GO transit rail line, the current TTC airport rocket, Mississauga Transit, etc. It'd be nice to have a subway to the airport. Personally, I'd prefer an extension of the Sheppard line, westward, over a proposed extension from Kipling or a future DRL. But then it would still take over 45 mins by subway to travel there with all your stuff. Most Torontonians would just end up taking the Airport Express buses or cabs. That's why the Blue 22 proposal is a much better idea.

Why pay a lot of money for a substitute?

Because its not a lot of money (1/5 the cost of heavy rail) and its not a substitute. LRT is not being looked to as a substitute for heavy rail in Toronto (with the exceptions of the Eglinton Crosstown and the Sheppard East lines), its being looked at as an upgraded streetcar replacement for heavily used bus routes. I am pretty sure when the vehicle selection is announced it'll likely be an articulated two-car unit only, nothing like the 3 or 4 car units on the pictures you've put up for the T. This is the TTC's way of being streetcars to the burbs.

Why not get the real deal and get it done right the first time?

Because it costs money. The TTC is probably very afraid of another Sheppard type of situation where it builds a line that's expensive to run and its runs well below cost recovery. If it makes another bone-headed decision like that, based on a poor business case, it probably won't get further expansion funding from any level of government regardless of which party is in power.

LRT is a safe way of testing the waters. And I agree with the TTC's logic. Build cheap LRT lines. See which lines grow in ridership. Reward those lines 25-30 years hence with subways. Given that the TTC will have already bought up and built ROWs through the LRT process, the subways can be built at minimum cost then. I can already tell you that the Sheppard East and Scarborough Malvern LRTs will never see an upgrade to a subway. There arent even that many riders who take the bus past Markham.

I am a big subway fan. Having travelled all over the world and seen how urban development and mass transit fit together, I wish we could have that kind of development in Toronto. But until the population density increases (sadly, something which many Torontonians oppose) and/or government is willing to contribute more towards the TTC's O&M budget (vice just the capital budget), I doubt we will see more subways. And with the Spadina extension, the Yonge line extension, and the completion of the Sheppard subway on the books, there is plenty of subway work that will keep the TTC tied up for at least a decade.

Keith, I just mapped it out on some software on my computer.

The distance between Kennedy to Scarborough Centre up over the 401 and back across Sheppard all the way to Don Mills is 14km.

Depending on how much of the track needs to be underground at Sheppard, the cost of building a full high quality TTC subway to replace the Scarborough RT and finish Sheppard appropriately would be between CAD$2.1 and 2.5 billion.

All Toronto has to do is get its act together, get some help from Ottawa (see if they can pitch in $1 billion) and you solve two problems in one swipe: the Scarborough RT problem and the problem of the Sheppard subway just ending at Fairview Mall.

The maintenance can be handled by existing TTC systems, it'll be all the same technology and they can entirely disband the wasteful upkeep of the Scarborough RT and sell that equipment to cities willing to buy the old equipment.

LRT is a waste, you spend nearly as much as a subway and you get bad results for a city like Toronto.

Scarborough RT is filled to the brim with people, and its higher grade than most LRT systems in north america because its a high quality system for light rail.

+1 to you again. I have advocated exactly this on the SRT replacement poll. So have numerous other readers. And I have written to the TTC about it as well. I agree that they should finish the Sheppard line, and extend the BD line to STC, to close the loop. The proposed SRT extension could then be replaced by an LRT and integrated with Transit City. The TTC says the number of riders on SRT arent enough for a subway but are too much for T style LRT. I think they have made some bone headed calculations, forgetting that most of those riders get on at STC.

As for cost, your numbers are in line with the TTC's estimate (when you include inflation). But I highly doubt Ottawa would pitch in a billion. Traditionally, they will pay about 33% - 35% of the capital cost of any major project, so their contribution would probably be between 800 - 900 million bucks. And that's providing you have a business case that says you won't come back asking for more money for operating funds.

We can't forget that the feds are being pressed for transit cash from every major city in Canada, and many of those have no rail at all or very short rail lines. Indeed here in Ottawa itself, we are finally moving out of BRT and converting the Transitway (Ottawa's BRT network) to light rail. And per capita, that will cost even more than Toronto's Transit City proposal. Likewise, Halifax is planning its first streetcar network. And Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal all want to expand theirs. I am surprised that the feds are contributing as much as they are to TO's lines through MO2020.

We've been over Pittsburgh's situation many times, its a totally different kind of city that isn't seeing much in terms of population growth. The economy in PGH is growing again, so its likely to see the metropolitan region to start growing again, but otherwise its a much different kind of city. Its almost like a 2nd tier European city rather than an American city in that its death rates are outstripping its birth rates and its really just kind of sustaining its population. The city really doesn't need the extra investment in heavy rail right now.

Toronto has a higher non-rush ridership than most other North American cities, except for New York City. A lot of other cities have non-existent weekend or very sparse service. Some might think that our Saturday headway frequency is their rush hour headway frequency.

It is because of the non-rush hour use, that the Metropass is priced higher than the other cities, as well. If we didn't use the TTC so much outside of the rush hours, the Metropass would be lower in cost to us.

^ Exactly. And many of those non-rush trips are within the same borough or just outside. I think the TTC is bang on with Transit City in that it'll finally improve service for the little old lady with her grocery cart. She is finally free of travelling on lurching, belching buses. Commuting downtown won't really be improved until the construction of a Downtown Relief Line (hopefully a subway) and when GO is finally integrated through Metrolinx, thereby diverting passengers off the subway and onto GO's super heavy rail service.

BTW, wanted to sneak some other Pittsburgh events in the thread.

3 PNC Plaza is rising nicely.

pittsburgh031.jpg

The Center for African American Culture is also coming along.

pittsburgh041.jpg

And more...

2700274098_e07506a30c_b.jpg

Can you spot PNC 3 rising?
2687002338_949b456218_b.jpg

What the final result should be:
21276156vj4.jpg

2724827673_d29cae0b9a_b.jpg

2724828211_b54f699367_b.jpg

Surrounded by pointy glass is not always a bad thing, PPG Plaza:

PPG-palace-Pittsburgh.jpg

Back