2.9K     7 

The Ninety vs. Trinity Lofts

streetcar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am debating between these two projects:

www.theninety.ca (Queen E. & Broadview)
www.trinitylofts.ca (Trinity & Eastern)

Prices are comparable but I am stuck on location.

There is Jilly's (a strip club) across the street from the Ninety, and also a few homeless shelters nearby.

Which one do you think would be the best investment for a first time home buyer, while also being enjoyable as a place to live for at least a few years?

Any insight, opinion, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

I'd probably go with the Ninety.

Why?
Nice layouts
Nicer finishes
I think the building overall just looks better and I like the area better, even with the strip club. They're also building another project just north of Queen. This area is in transition and I think it will continue to change over the next few years. I've never really noticed homeless people there, but I don't really hang out in the area.

Trinity lofts is not really around anything and it's right on a busy street. Still a nice project, but if price was equal, I'd pick The Ninety.

Just my opinion.

What's wrong with Jilly's? strip clubs are normally quiet, that is much better than having a night club in front of your building with drunks and people shouting all the night. There is a strip club right on Portland and King west called "For Your Eyes Only" and the condos in the area sell for 600 psf. Queen and Broadview is definitely a much better area and the Ninety will be a very nice building

What about the fact that trinity is in better location. Walking distance to distillery district, future west don park, St.Lawrence market and to the subway station. No strip club or homeless shelters nearby.

Don't you think Trinity would be a better investment?

No. Trinity is in a crappy location. Also streetcar developments (hope you don't secretly work for them lol) uses a cheaper method of construction that results in sound transmission issues--see previous streetcar dev' projects' threads on UT for details.

Trinity is beside the Richmond/Adelaide "raceway"--cars race past at a good clip, there's also noise and traffic from those car dealerships nearby etc.

Finally, Queen and Broadview going east to Leslieville proper is a damned fine 'hood to call home.

No. Trinity is in a crappy location. Also streetcar developments (hope you don't secretly work for them lol) uses a cheaper method of construction that results in sound transmission issues--see previous streetcar dev' projects' threads on UT for details.

Really... I always thought they built "quieter" units cuz they use drywall (which if done right are better than cement walls) construction over cement walls.

For appreciation, Trinity kicks the Ninety's butt a thousand times over (other issues notwithstanding). It's location is vastly superior to the Ninety's and being on this side of the DVP and about 1 km closer to downtown (with a new streetcar line to be added) in an area that in 15 years will look unrecognizable, it's a no brainer.

Which one do you think would be the best investment for a first time home buyer, while also being enjoyable as a place to live for at least a few years?

Location. Location. Location. Strictly looking at things in terms of investment, if prices are the same then Trinity Lofts hands down. East is the new West and, in particular, the Corktown/West Donlands area is going to be the neighbourhood that everyone will rush to once the development starts taking form. With the 2015 Pan-Am Games, there will be less red tape to slow things down too.

Today, the neighbourhood lacks charm, is kind of gritty, and there isn't a lot of retail. But charm and density can be found a walk away at the Distillery District and St. Lawrence Market. I strongly considered the Corktown District phase 2 condo that's being built around the corner. But eventually I chose to purchase right in St. Lawrence Market taking me back to my initial plan. I veered off a bit going past Parliament, but from King & Sumach it's just an 8 minute streetcar ride to Yonge. So while there isn't much there now, it's only a stone's throw away from where everything is and in time it will develop heaviliy. However, another part of the equation is how enjoyable it will be for a few years... for a few years, you'll see a lot of cranes, trucks, and construction all around you. If you see it as progress taking form around you then you'll be just fine, but it is something to seriously consider.

Queen and Broadview is already an established neighbourhood and there are quite a lot of charming shops along that stretch on Queen. I'm reminded of being in a small city (in a good way) while walking down there. The Ninety wouldn't be a bad investment at all. But in terms of strictly financial investment, I think anything in Corktown/West Donlands is going to be the investment opportunity for the next few years to come.

Smartly, as one who will live there, you are considering both investment and liveability. On more than one or two occassions, take a casual but thorough walk around both neighbourhoods and get a good feel for both of them. Let the choice come to you. Since neither are bad investments and you plan to live in it, choose where you'd prefer to live all things regarding your lifestyle considered.

No strip club or homeless shelters nearby.

If you don't like strippers or homeless, you won't like the methadone clinic at king and trinity.

I always thought they built "quieter" units cuz they use drywall (which if done right are better than cement walls) construction over cement walls.

They use drywall only, no concrete between suites.

You should think about going to see some of the projects by each builder... compare corktown to glas and east... I felt that the ninety has a more polished feel/look. Alot of the units at trinity have no outdoor space which was a no for me...
I bought at the ninety because I like the mix neighbourhood and its not far from west don lands and distillery.

Are you set on these two projects only?

Depends what you want of course, but I would choose the Ninety on location.

I lived at Queen and Hamilton for seven years, and it was brilliant to roll out of bed noonish and stumble over to the Broadview bakery for fresh croissants (now 3 for 1.25), and to the Pari discount, a great convenience store. These days there is even good coffee over there. It is close to downtown by bike or by King or Queen car.

I moved to Leslieville eight years ago and it has its charms too, but I miss the life of that little corner.

Eastern Ave. at Trinity is not a road I would want on my doorstep. Indeed, the neighbourhood will improve, and there are good things there already. But some things, like Eastern Ave, will always give it a brutal edge.

Back