Toronto The New Residences of Yorkville Plaza | 92.05m | 31s | Camrost-Felcorp | WZMH COMPLETE

Should the Queens Park view corridor be preserved?

• Yes

Votes: 168 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 145 37.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 60 15.5%

• Total voters
Wow, I did not expect that they would demolish FS. If they situate the taller building on the southern portion of the lot, then I can't see any problems with this development.

Not much of an upgrade architecturally but successful retail could be a boon for that corner.

Mr. Vaughan also worries the towers could sully the silhouette of Queen’s Park.

“Is it time in this city that we had a discussion around protecting iconic buildings? Yes,†he said. “Can you imagine building a row of condominiums behind the Eiffel Tower?â€

But as I've indicated, the existing tower already so-called sullied the silhouette back in the early 70s, perhaps more so than what's presently proposed. Trouble is, there was less protest over sullied silhouettes then, so it just stuck in there, and we learned to live with it...

There is a rendering of the base of this development on the National Post's website.

yorkville.jpg

I like it. It feels slightly deco, somewhat gothic, and very 'Toronto' modern. For me it is of the style that will ultimately define this wave of development in the city when we look back on it in the future.

Wish they would keep the old building, by tearing down and demolishing we arent really gaining anything besides height. Put this proposal on an empty lot.

Good point. The podium is the real problem here. The tower can be tarted up, and the whole thing would take a fraction of the time and money. Besides, is anybody else a little tired of Yorkville being a messy construction zone?

Hmm.... I Don't Despise the base... But the little bit of the towers that I CAN see... they look terrible, and far too close together.

where is this proposed "urban park" going? this lot isn't THAT big

Question about the uproar over height of the proposed project: Will this city ever grow up?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with opposition to skyscrapers. I'd say the number of skyscrapers and the maturity of a city have nothing to do with each other. In fact, a mature, grown up city has the courage to turn down high rises where they don't belong (I'm not necessarily saying they don't belong here though).

"Put this proposal on an empty lot."

I find it kind of funny that we sometimes still see comments like this. What empty lot? I wasn't aware that Four seasons had an empty lot available for re-development.

hmm.... why is there so much sudden information about this project? renders? already? .... I mean... don't they have to wait a long time? first the New Four Seasons needs to START construction.... then finally in... 2010, when its complete... the hotel will officially move... so.. they cant even start demolition of 21 Avenue until.... 2011? which means that these condos are going up... in 2013? that seems pretty far off to be designing already? maybe not.... oh what do i know.

I would hardly be bothered if the buildings go down in height a bit. One gets the impression that the developer is playing a bit of a game (ask for 58, accept 54 and come off as a good guy).

The base of the present hotel is horrible and I look forward to the site's redevelopment. Knocking this sucker down, and then rebuilding on the site, is going to take a bit of time though.

Swing your partner round and round ... fling him over your shoulder and pin the bastard to the floor: another dance between developer and City over height is about to begin.

In this case, as with the ROM condo tower that was proposed a few years ago, the view up University Avenue from south of the Legislature is key. As adma posits, do we want the view of another important civic landmark that was designed to be a view terminus to be wrecked - as the view of the campanile of Old City Hall from Lower Bay Street was when ROCP went up?

No Siree!

Back