Toronto The New Residences of Yorkville Plaza | 92.05m | 31s | Camrost-Felcorp | WZMH COMPLETE

Should the Queens Park view corridor be preserved?

• Yes

Votes: 168 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 145 37.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 60 15.5%

• Total voters
While I agree one building behind a landmark may throw the whole view off, however I would have preferred several towering structures to build a skyline behind such buildings as Queen's Park and City Hall.

That way those landmarks could stand like a citadel or guardhouse commanding a great presence with towering monoliths at their back, as if an imposing army ready to strike. It would lend a stronger sense of power and importance to the structures as some feel those buildings represent.

5364940350_c8e99d147a_b.jpg

(Please excuse the palm trees... I borrowed Dubai for my example.)

Washington has height restrictions as does Ottawa to ensure the government buildings are not overwhelmed.

In addition to that, I believe the NCC has a list of 20-something locations within the city where the view cannot be impeded or significantly modified. Most of them are views from public areas towards Parliament Hill (the Mackenzie-King Bridge over the canal, Major's Hill Park, the National War Memorial, etc).

I would think that the view up University Ave could definitely qualify for a similar type of by-law.

In addition to that, I believe the NCC has a list of 20-something locations within the city where the view cannot be impeded or significantly modified. Most of them are views from public areas towards Parliament Hill (the Mackenzie-King Bridge over the canal, Major's Hill Park, the National War Memorial, etc).
I would think that the view up University Ave could definitely qualify for a similar type of by-law.

Such nonsense..:rolleyes:

While I agree one building behind a landmark may throw the whole view off, however I would have preferred several towering structures to build a skyline behind such buildings as Queen's Park and City Hall.

That way those landmarks could stand like a citadel or guardhouse commanding a great presence with towering monoliths at their back, as if an imposing army ready to strike. It would lend a stronger sense of power and importance to the structures as some feel those buildings represent.

Gasp!

This would be an awesome view if Toronto actually built a Dubai landscape like that behind the legislature. We are no longer 'Muddy York' and height restrictions to preserve the skyline behind older downtown buildings, legislature, et al, is a vain attempt to hold on to a past that no longer fits this city. Central Toronto needs density and intensification around Queens Park might just remind the rural constituents that govern our province that this city has more in common with New York and Shanghai than it does Kapuskasing and Cobourg. I don't think we should try to live in a heritage bubble in the centre of Canada's most populous city.

Do we have any sorta timeline of this project?
When will they start tearing down the Four Seasons? i'm sure it will take many months to do so.

(BTW: why didn't they just add additional stories/re-clad/convert to residential the old building instead?)

Maybe it 'does' mean something

Why shouldn't we be idealistic? This building represents our greatest ideals as a culture. Realistically, there are so many places to build high-rise buildings that if we have reasons not to do so behind our legislature building, we can plan not to do so. Shouldn't we be in control of how our city takes shape?]

Maybe this 'does' reflect something... ;)

attachment.php

This would be an awesome view if Toronto actually built a Dubai landscape like that behind the legislature. We are no longer 'Muddy York' and height restrictions to preserve the skyline behind older downtown buildings, legislature, et al, is a vain attempt to hold on to a past that no longer fits this city. Central Toronto needs density and intensification around Queens Park might just remind the rural constituents that govern our province that this city has more in common with New York and Shanghai than it does Kapuskasing and Cobourg. I don't think we should try to live in a heritage bubble in the centre of Canada's most populous city.

Yeah, it'd please the rural constituents, all right. After all, only a dumb hayseed yokel from the Kapuskasing-or-Cobourg backwoods would think it'd be real neat if Toronto went Dubai on us;-)

Maybe Toronto is just too big to be the provincial capital? NYC isn't even the capital of NY. Although, I'm not sure size is really important, haha.

Again...New York's no "small provincial city"
before+pan+am.jpg

...yet there's still urbanistic regret at how this came to be
P3210053.jpg

There's a difference between a backdrop of distant skyscrapers and a skyscraper literally looming over. 21 Avenue wouldn't loom over Queen's Park in the way that MetLife looms over the Helmsley Building, it will merely serve to contextualize Queen's Park as being within a city.

Back