News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 436     0 

The nauseating smell of Lush

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I want Lush gone from the Eaton Centre. The store there, near the entrance to Dundas Station, is in a very high-traffic area, and it reeks. Do they pump out the smell thinking that some people might actually be attracted to their perfumes? The first floor of a department store is practically a scent-free area compared to this thing.

I do not have a strong sensitivity to perfumes and scents, but I have a mild one, and I hate walking by there. I can only imagine what it could do to people with strong sensitivities.

I do not have a strong sensitivity to perfumes and scents, but I have a mild one, and I hate walking by there. I can only imagine what it could do to people with strong sensitivities.

they probably go shop somewhere else. bad for business IMO.

there should be smell pollution laws. actually, i wonder if such a thing already exists?

Yes! Those smells give me a headache within moments. I feel sorry for anyone who has to work near there, or has a foodcourt business in the vicinity. The location on Queen West used to stink up that whole area near the Bamboo... I'm not sure if they're still there as I rarely go that way anymore, but it always astounded me.

Don't we have bylaws regarding spreading vile odours like we do for excessive noise, bright lights, etc?

You can smell Lush employees a kilometer away.

Incidentally, I know someone who works at that store.

There's one reeking up Queen West, too.

Yeah Shon, you don't need a special sensitivity to smell to be sickened by Lush - they all smell terrible. It's a major mistake for a mall to lease space to them. I can't imagine mall management doesn't get constant grief from adjacent retailers.

I'm not that grossed out by Lush--then again, it does seem a relic of the "Madonna in her 30s" years...

Years ago, I applied for a job at Lush HQ (Queensway and Islington, for those that wish to bankrupt it....) The boss (owner?) asked me if I was sensitive to the smell. I lied and said "No." Ha, moments later, getting a tour of the plant, I vomited.

Yes, Lush gives me a major headache everytime I walk near one...which is just one reason I avoid Queen West between Spadina and Beverly these days.

I was trying to determine if vomitting was a good job interview technique. Perhaps to get out of a hard to answer question.

"I see you've had six jobs in the last four years. Why is that?"
"Well, see... the thing is..." <hurl>
"I think I have all the information I need already. Welcome aboard."

Something like that.

I moved into a condo that I bought and a month later a Lush store opened in the retail downstairs. To begin with, I'm sensitive to many strong scents (perfume, cologne, red wine etc) and within a day or two I began smelling the Lush nine floors above. The amount of odour that came into the suite seemed to depend on the wind, there were many days that I couldn't sit on the balcony because of the smell. The Lush smell somehow made it's way into the lobby and elevator shaft. I approached the Board of Directors after about a month of bad headaches & migraines and learned that I wasn't the only one with a problem with Lush. The BoD took the concern to the developer who leased the retail space and Lush was gone in about two months. To say I was thrilled is an understatement, I had pretty much resigned myself to listing the place for sale and moving.
To this day when I approach a Lush I have to cross the street to pass or avoid the area of a mall where one is located. Those places are nasty.

I find the Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch combo worse. Anywhere near those stores, you can smell their stinky perfumes. To me, Lush actually smells good and I'm not surprised the scent is that strong. It's a store full of soaps. It could be intentional or not.
Hollister and A&F on the other hand, are clothing stores. Their strong perfume smell is more a blatant attempt to reach way beyond the boundaries of their leased property. They must spray their perfumes on fans or something. It is obviously intentional.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning
275px-Apocalypse_Now_Smell_Like_Victory.jpg

Back