Toronto The Milan Condominium | ?m | 37s | Conservatory Group | Richmond Architects COMPLETE

• Thread starter The Burgher of TO
  • Start date
The problem with gas stations aren't the gas stations themselves - this one, for example, won't be very noticeable when Milan is built, and there's nothing very aesthetically terrible about it. And I tend to not notice gas stations in general because I don't drive - which can be a problem when I'm looking for an air pump. The problem with gas stations - like car washes - is that they signify "low property values." And they are usually surrounded by parking lots or vacant lots. So we get bad feelings when we see them - they mark or denote "depressed land values nearby" (and poverty) or "sprawl" or "pedestrian-unfriendly area." But they aren't particularly bad in themselves.

The problem with gas stations aren't the gas stations themselves - this one, for example, won't be very noticeable when Milan is built, and there's nothing very aesthetically terrible about it. And I tend to not notice gas stations in general because I don't drive - which can be a problem when I'm looking for an air pump. The problem with gas stations - like car washes - is that they signify "low property values." And they are usually surrounded by parking lots or vacant lots. So we get bad feelings when we see them - they mark or denote "depressed land values nearby" (and poverty) or "sprawl" or "pedestrian-unfriendly area." But they aren't particularly bad in themselves.

I feel this way whenever I see a Walmart. I just can't see it for the temple of frugality that it is, I just see mullets. If the developer plants in a nice line of trees to soften the transition between auto and condo, this could be an ok site.

May 11
5712639928_6bc828b95a_b.jpg

5712082551_2561e47043_b.jpg

5712079695_2d771c7d54_b.jpg

5712635374_28018e909e_b.jpg

5712633494_fc51cc2e53_b.jpg

5712631520_c45db74904_b.jpg

This corner (trident?) has one the strangest amalgams of architectural styles in Toronto. There are some really awkward and ugly buildings here but i think they somehow look attractive as a dense whole.

That brown conversion building looks like Network Lofts in ECC. Was this a conversion of a Bell building also?

No; it's a 70s office building w/condo floors added on top a few years later (but yeah, similar in demeanour--and the Networks Lofts Bell also had top storeys added)

Back