452     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 473     0 

The Mayor Miller appreciation thread

kettal

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a thread to discuss the positive achievements if David Miller.

Every other thread is about his shortcomings, so if you want to discuss those you have a lot of places to do it. Here is not the place.

really trying hard to encourage even more development downtown.

Redevelopment of Regent Park, which I hope is successful, has the potential to bring thousands of residents out of the cycle of poverty and end the stigma of living in a shunned neighbourhood.

Is not as corrupt as the mayors of Vaughan, Ottawa and (potentially?) Mississauga.

Infuriates Sue Anne Levy.

Turfed Julian Fantino and adopted a much more balanced and effective crime fighting strategy.

We won't have to worry about him showcasing kitchen appliances for "His Blondeness" furniture house next year.

Is not John Nunziata.

Last edited:
The central waterfront, between Bathurst and Bay has improved very much since Miller came into office. They are basically unrecognisable from the wasteland that was there in 2003.

Looking back at the 2003 campaign against John Tory. Some of the bigger issues were trucking the garbage to Detroit (John Tory wanted to build an incinerator). Beggars down town (Tory wanted to fine them). The bridge to the airport, and transit.

Miller certainly seems to have come out well on both the garbage issues and the panhandling. Buying a fully operational landfill has stopped the border issue with the garbage, and saved us from having an incinerator burning our trash (little of what goes in my garbage can is combustible except plastic ... and I wouldn't want to breath that! And they increase in social workers on the ground, seems to have really reduced the begging, and homelessness in the core itself; the problem will never truly go away, but things seem to have improved, and we've stopped sliding towards a Vancouver-type situation.

The bridge to the airport ... well I disagree with Miller ... but he kept his promise.

And transit? Has he not done exactly what he promised? Pushed ahead the York subway, pushed to improve surface transit, increased service? I'm not sure where we'd be now if we'd followed Tory's plan, and relied on development charges to fund transit expansion.

And of course BMO Field was an amazing move in timing to secure the facility, the profit-making football team, and do it quickly. And now he's gotten us grass - $5-million worth of, without the city paying a cent!

Oh yeah, the grass! The lovely, real, green, I-wanna-play-football-on-that, let's sign JDG, grass! :D

Man, I was in Van City when all that went down. Kinda only heard about it through txt mssg.

Back