News   Jul 25, 2024
 319     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 519     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 454     0 

The End Of The Road: Saying Goodbye To Freeways

The short answer, I think, is that a connected Waterfront represents a significant opportunity to quickly expand the city's tax-base and increase revenues.

Edit: 'Quickly' being a relative term, of course.

Last edited:
The short answer, I think, is that a connected Waterfront represents a significant opportunity to quickly expand the city's tax-base and increase revenues.

Edit: 'Quickly' being a relative term, of course.

If that land comes from burying/demolishing the Gardiner or rail corridor though, I'd imagine that any land sale or tax revenue generated from those new buildings would for years be going to help pay down the infrastructure debt that burying them created.

Maybe it's the Lakeshore underneath the elevated Gardiner that's the problem!

Agree 100%. In order of problems with the connection to the watefront my rough order from biggest problem to lowest is:

1. Not much to see or do on Waterfront - people would be willing to 'connect' if the waterfront was actually more of a destinateion. It's like making the 1-hour drive the reason you don't visit your crazy Aunt.
2. Rail corridor
3. Lakeshore underneath highway
4. elevated highway

My advice - Wait 10 years. Make the waterfont as nice as you can. Encourage more private development. People will come if they want to come. Stop blaming a highway or thinking there's a business case to tear it down.

I thought there was already a Waterfront Plan in the works with that Maple Leaf on the water and that Dragon's Mouth at the bottom of Spadina and stuff.

Agree 100%. In order of problems with the connection to the watefront my rough order from biggest problem to lowest is:

1. Not much to see or do on Waterfront - people would be willing to 'connect' if the waterfront was actually more of a destinateion. It's like making the 1-hour drive the reason you don't visit your crazy Aunt.
2. Rail corridor
3. Lakeshore underneath highway
4. elevated highway

My advice - Wait 10 years. Make the waterfont as nice as you can. Encourage more private development. People will come if they want to come. Stop blaming a highway or thinking there's a business case to tear it down.

The Gardiner crosses the entire downtown, running at varying heights and distances from the water. In some places it is very possible to blend the highway into the urban fabric, while in others it is more challenging. Taking a holistic approach is ridiculous as we can improve the highway's relationship to the city in different ways at different points.

For example:

- Decking over the Western stretch, or implementing better pedestrian bridges (or a linear park)
- Beautifying the underside in the central section, where the highway nestles between tall buildings
- Realigning the eastern stretch above the rail corridor, or looking at removal of this overbuilt and underused section of road
- And, of course, tunnelling is always a possibility, though not entirely necessary in my opinion (I think the maintenance costs to prevent flooding would be insane.)

In all cases we need to look at upfront cost balanced with potential ROI from increased development, tourism dollars, recreational and social benefits, etc.

The defeatist "Let's just do nothing" attitude in this town grates sometimes. Yes, the Gardiner isn't as awful as some urbanists make it out to be but surely there are of course ways to make things better.

YES! YES! YES!

Even if gas is 999¢ Freight does not Use the Subway! Trucks are necessary! Small Businesses in the service industry! There's so much more...

Commuters are not the only people that use Freeways! I would rather have a truck going on a freeway then a fancy boulevard with pedestrians...I'm sure everyone agrees there!

So YES. WE STILL WANT FREEWAYS!

In the event W.K.Lis needs an emergency medical response is he going to be happy schlepping off to the ER on the subway?

In the event W.K.Lis needs an emergency medical response is he going to be happy schlepping off to the ER on the subway?

Do we really need "Don't Drive while Dying" campaign?

Presumably he will be calling an ambulance like anybody else alone in a medical emergency would.

Should the government really be in the business of providing free transportation services to the lazy and unemployed who are in the midst of dying? What's the motivation to get out and work and attain your own vehicle if you know the government will come and drive you to the hospital when you're gravely injured?

Should the government really be in the business of providing free transportation services to the lazy and unemployed who are in the midst of dying? What's the motivation to get out and work and attain your own vehicle if you know the government will come and drive you to the hospital when you're gravely injured?

lol

filler

Do we really need "Don't Drive while Dying" campaign?

Presumably he will be calling an ambulance like anybody else alone in a medical emergency would.

But in W.K.'s perfect universe there will be no highways or other roads to support vehicular traffic due to the delights of prohibitive gasoline prices or so he fervently hopes.

If he is correct what's left but the subway or possibly a rickshaw?

Should the government really be in the business of providing free transportation services to the lazy and unemployed

Not free my friend nor should it be, I had to call an ambulance to my home to transport my wife to the ER a week ago and subsequently received an invoice for $45.00 which I paid promptly and would have paid twice that if asked to.

Back