News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

I've noticed that the prices for business class (formerly VIA 1) have dropped considerably in the last few years as well.
I suspect that many people that used to take VIA1 between places like Toronto and Ottawa when it cost $400 to fly one way are now taking the plane, often for less than $200 (and sometimes much less). When flying is cheaper than taking the train (and you save 3-4 hours), the train is going to lose customers unless they reduce their price.

VIA is still useful if you are going somewhere that doesn't have an airport.

I'm a romantic, I'll stick with train in good times and bad. I just find VIA's business class the most enjoyable and stress-free mode of travel (no security checks, comfortable lounges, decent meal, alcohol, comfortable seating), but I'm never in a huge rush (the train is sometimes late as well as slow) or I'll plan my travel around the train to go to Ottawa or Montreal.

I suspect that many people that used to take VIA1 between places like Toronto and Ottawa when it cost $400 to fly one way are now taking the plane, often for less than $200 (and sometimes much less). When flying is cheaper than taking the train (and you save 3-4 hours), the train is going to lose customers unless they reduce their price.
When did it cost $400 one way between Ottawa and Toronto? A few years ago you could get about $80 one-way! These days, I look at the prices, and I'm much more likely to take the train. Or simply not travel.

When did it cost $400 one way between Ottawa and Toronto? A few years ago you could get about $80 one-way! These days, I look at the prices, and I'm much more likely to take the train. Or simply not travel.

I've never expensed more than $390 for the round trip (used to book the Discounted fare, now SuperSaver), so not in the last 6 years.

I was hoping for news on the fate of Ontario Northland, but you have to go to the local papers to find anything:

NDP gives in on ONTC issue
North Bay Nugget

NDP gives in on ONTC issue
Horwath agrees to support McGuinty's budget
By JENNIFER HAMILTON-MCCHARLES The Nugget
Updated 48 minutes ago
Hopes that the NDP would be a champion for the ONTC collapsed Monday when the party struck a deal with the Liberals to pass the provincial budget.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and Premier Dalton McGuinty met Sunday and Monday to try and reach a compromise before today’s vote to prevent the government from falling.

And they did. The deal includes taxing the rich and increasing disability and welfare payments, as well, providing additional funding to Northern and rural hospitals.

But the NDP wasn't able to persuade the Liberals to continue subsidizing the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission.

“We tried to get the government to bend on the ONTC issue, but they just wouldn't. We put proposals on the table, but the government wasn't prepared to move on the ONTC. They were hanging on,” said Gilles Bisson, Howarth's chief of staff and NDP party house leader.

I use to watch the Ontario Northland trains leaving Union Station westbound as they rolled past Spadina. They had the absolutely noisiest, dirtiest engines ever. You could always tell it was Ontario Northland because it made such a racket. Must have been using super old equipment.

Last day for the Northlander (Toronto-Cochrane) will be Friday, September 28. No news as to the status of other ONTC operations, yet. No word of any "enhanced bus service".

Woohoo! No more super loud locomotives!

Sucks if you live in the North though. Although that kind of sucks anyway.

:cool:

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly! They were the only trains that would actually cause vibrations throughout my entire unit, and the only trains that I really notice running through the corridor anymore.

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly! They were the only trains that would actually cause vibrations throughout my entire unit, and the only trains that I really notice running through the corridor anymore.

What wonderfully short sighted thoughts. Thank God you'll no longer have to endure the 30 seconds of noise these trains make as they pass by your apartments. Don't be at all concerned about the thousands in the North who will be affected by their no longer running. In terms of a broader, province-wide strategy for transportation, this is a huge step backwards and I wish everyone who's on the ground fighting it the best of luck.

What wonderfully short sighted thoughts. Don't be at all concerned about the thousands in the North who will be affected by their no longer running.

Relax, they'll find a replacement means of getting about.

47539.jpg

The vibrations likely wouldn't have been as bad if ONR used real passenger diesels instead of a freight diesel and Head End Power generator. The former GO Transit coaches may be a factor as well; I remember reading that they were rough-riding, one of the reasons they were replaced.

Except there isn't any news. And the "enhanced bus service" ended up being a crock of sheet. And the Government of (Southern) Ontario just announced the closure of campsites at 10 provincial parks, nine of which are north of the French River.

But Liberal seats in the GTA in trouble? No problem spending many, many times the cost of the Northlander's subsidy to cancel gas plants!

Back