News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.4K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 568     0 

The Concert Thread

Great concert! Even with a car I thought it was almost impossible to get out of Arrow Hall at the end of the night. We must have crept along for nearly 45 minutes.

I've seen a few shows at Arrow Hall (Pixies, Radiohead, Prodigy, etc.) over the years and the trick is to park in the Malton Go station parking lot and then walk through the underground tunnel (under the rail tracks) to the International Centre. A slightly longer walk to your vehicle on the way out, but you'll be gone within 30 seconds once you get to your car.

redemption

I'm glad the show was good as I saw their movie and it really depressed me how bad it was. Daft Punk provided the music for a fantastic period of my life and seeing them reduced to hacks was a little too much.

i was lucky to have a friend give me a ride after. he parked in the front parking lot so we got out quick. the tim hortons right beside was so busy after.

Wish I could have been there. My brother in Vancouver saw them there and was raving about it.

Some photos he sent me:

1066784337_1eeb44135f_o.jpg

1067647730_9912120633.jpg

1066783985_cf33380521.jpg

1066783789_b4efccf600.jpg

1067646822_3b39225863.jpg

From Chart Magazine...

LIVE: Daft Punk Ruin It For Everyone
Tuesday August 14, 2007 @ 02:00 PM

f-daftpunk.jpg

August 5, 2007
Arrow Hall
Toronto, ON
by Matt Reeder

I hate Daft Punk. OK, not really, but I'm royally pissed at them for what will surely amount to their stealing away my ability to be impressed by anyone else’s live show for who knows how long. Sure, I read a couple of reviews and watched the YouTube videos of last year’s Coachella performance, but after witnessing the robot suit-clad duo in the flesh (my flesh, of course, not theirs), there’s no question Thomas Bangalter and Guy Manuel De Homen-Christo have tapped into a live music experience nothing short of revolutionary.

Before The Rapture exited the stage after a solid set warming the floor for the Daft duo, co-frontman Luke Jenner exclaimed to the audience, "Get ready for the most incredible show of your life." A lofty claim, sure, but I’m pretty certain a good chunk of those who were there wouldn’t disagree.

Everything about the show was a spectacle: the mass exodus of thousands of indie kids and dance music fans from downtown Toronto to Mississauga; the huge venue unaffectionately known by all as "that fucking airplane hangar;" the mind-blowingly complex light show; and, of course, the two masterminds themselves, perched atop their pyramid of light in utter control of thousands of minds and bodies.

Indeed, this show put to rest any notion that Toronto crowds are dour and indifferent. It was a hipster pep-rally of the highest order, with enough neon, crazy sunglasses and funky sneakers to fill the Dos and Don'ts section of Vice Magazine for at least the next few years. But rather than standing with arms folded, people danced unabashedly and actually gave themselves over to the music.

As with many live electronic shows, the actual songs didn’t matter as much as how they played into the overall set. Although the duo touched on all their hits, they were often cut up, remixed and mashed-up together in new and exciting ways. "One More Time" and "Da Funk" garnered the most raucous cheers, but one of the finest moments was their seamless blending of "Around The World" and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stonger" into an orgy of vocoder vocals and huge beats.

Visually, Daft Punk put on a show unlike any other. Centred around a pyramid structure that doubled as a giant video screen and the duo’s musical control centre, and completed with an ingenious geometric grid of lights and an arsenal of flood lights, the stage was ablaze in a frenzy of colour and images for the entire set. What’s more, the light show actually followed a loose narrative with the songs. The band blasted off in automated streams of white light with "Robot Rock," only to get progressively more organic and then "human" near the end, with random faces flashing across the giant pyramid during "Human After All." It may sound cheesy but, trust me, it’s not.

By the time the duo returned for an encore, the entire crowd had morphed into one hot and sweaty mass, literally transforming the air-conditioned convention centre into a kinetic mess that could have been in the running for the title of "world’s best dance party" if there were such a thing.

Ultimately, Daft Punk’s show works so well because it’s stylistically consistent and rich, yet never alienating or pretentious. It pushes the boundaries of what pop music and live music can be, but never loses sight of the bottom line: having fun. And that’s exactly what you’ll get — a live show that has the power to wrap you up in the moment. As one of the many sweaty concert-goers standing within earshot put it so well to his friend: "I wanna be a robot, too." I think we all did, friend.

I wish I had been there! Is that what you want to hear Jason??? Because it's true! Wahhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - I had a little breakdown there.

Lee's Palace
529 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario

Okay so I went to this place and the sound of the stage was phenomenal for live bands...I have to say, I'm pretty excited for the event of Salvador Santana Band playing...Is anyone going???

Funny, I was planning on being at Lee's that night- but for Galactic. Pounding funk out of New Orleans.

That was a good show, but I've seen funkier Galactic sets, including the first time I saw them 9 years to the day before Thursday night's return to Lee's Palace. I'm listening to the recording right now, transferring it to a cdr. I saw lots of kids there, I was surprised, but glad to see they were digging a live band I've been enjoying for a while. How was the Santana set? Does talent skip a generation like it did with Bob Marley's 20 kids with recording contracts? Or does it run super thick in the Santana family, seeing as Carlos' brother Jorge played guitar in a hot seventies Latin rock band called Malo? Just wondering...

Back