News   Apr 26, 2024
 454     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 202     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 668     0 

The Cameron House For Sale-- Future condo site, or artist colony?

Remember it's Adam Vaughan's riding so if a condo is proposed he'll probably put up a big stink.

Also remember there's government housing about a 30 second walk north of that intersection.

There would be no need for a big stink, as this falls within the Queen West Heritage Preservation District, and the city mandates the details of the form (3 storeys max, substantial brick, retail, etc).

There would be no need for a big stink, as this falls within the Queen West Heritage Preservation District, and the city mandates the details of the form (3 storeys max, substantial brick, retail, etc).

Yikes.. 96-pages! Looks interesting, but I don't think I have the time to go through it now. Question: Isn't Tribute Communities project "Queen and Portland" in the study area? I thought it was going to be 5-storeys. I guess the pushed the residential section onto the street in the rear, and kept the Queen Street section lower.

Last edited:
Correct, the part that fronts Queen West in that development is 3 storeys. The 7 storey part is along Richmond St.

Correct, the part that fronts Queen West in that development is 3 storeys. The 7 storey part is along Richmond St.

Very cool. I hope whoever buys the property will clean it up, and make it Drakesque.

Thanks for the note about that report.. looking forward to reading it. For anyone else interested, quicklink here.

The Cameron House is being sold

cameron_house_facade.jpg

DCANCA08SC1301-1100010209VV.jpg

the globe reports: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/the-cameron-house-on-the-market/article1372297/

Toronto's Cameron House on the market

Queen Street West fixture of bar and arts scene listed for $2.9-million

Josh Wingrove
Toronto — The Globe and Mail
Published on Friday, Nov. 20, 2009 8:00PM EST
Last updated on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009 3:15AM EST

A staple of the Queen West arts scene is up for sale.

The Cameron House bar, at 408 Queen St. W., is listed for $2.9-million, the first time in 28 years that it has hit the market. Operating owner Cindy Matthews said the decision was six years in the making, and hopes she and co-owners Paul Sannella and Anne-Marie Ferraro can find a buyer who will continue the Cameron’s community-based approach to art and music.

“Our lives are moving on, and we just felt that it was time for a lot of reasons. We would love to see it continue forever, and we hope that it might,” the mother of two said. “Everybody’s going to have time to reminisce. It’s not going away overnight.”

They chose to keep the bar open during the sale process, she said.

"I really want to people to celebrate it still, and enjoy it, and realize it's still continuing, just as it always has."

The Cameron served for decades as a pub and hotel before 1981, when it changed ownership and became an arts hub. When it changed hands, it did so for a bargain: $2. Apartments upstairs have been rented to artists over the years, including some who would play shows to pay the rent, said Ms. Matthews, who came on as an employee in 1983 and bought out one of the three owners in 1989.

The building and 2,600-square-foot plot are for sale, with nine bedrooms and two bathrooms above the bar and on a site listed as mixed-use zoning.

"The hippest neighbourhood in the city awaits your style and imagination," the listing says.

Ms. Matthews said the Cameron has been a "labour of love," and hopes a current or past member of the Cameron community might consider taking over the effort.

“My biggest dream was that someone who came through the Cameron and has gone on to make money will go, ‘wow,’ ” and buy it, Ms. Matthews said. “It’s a very difficult time for us. But things move on, and I hope they move on in a really positive direction.

"You can only do something like this for so long. And we've done it longer."

wishful thinking? this better not be sold to a developer.

Although I support most of the redevelopments in Toronto, buildings with heritage and any cultural landmarks should not be tampered without respecting to such cultural contributions from the property.

BTW, what ward is this building in?
Adam Vaughan's?

Last edited:
Damn, this might end up demolished and re-built with a bland condo without any cultural connection to the original building... or even a lousy chain retail :mad:

A suburban-minded nutjob should not run as a councillor in one of the culturally-flourishing wards in Toronto...

Damn, this might end up demolished and re-built with a bland condo without any cultural connection to the original building... or even a lousy chain retail :mad:

A suburban-minded nutjob should not run as a councillor in one of the culturally-flourishing wards in Toronto...

Just curious as to why you are slagging Adam Vaughan over what a developer might do with the property if they bought it? Vaughan has promoted diversity and arts in the area, and Cameron House would hardly get his attention as one of the nightclubs that create problems (which Cameron House is not).

Boy have you just exposed yourself as someone that really needs to do some homework before you post something. He's far from a suburban-minded nutjob. You do know his father was one of the people that stopped the Spadina Expressway from being built don't you? He grew up downtown in that environment.

Back