Toronto The Bond | 138.68m | 42s | Lifetime | Core Architects COMPLETE

I don't see why this can't be built. They are worried it would set a precedent? Um, what about Festival Tower? Boutique? Studio? Did those not set a precedent?

Lower the amount of parking to satisfy the city, and I don't see why this can't go ahead.

The planning department's reasons are all spelled out within the report in detail, and in maps at the end. Whether or not one agrees with the reasons is one thing, but it's certainly more than flipping a coin!

Regardless of the the rational provided, I wouldn't sweat it. The most likely outcome is council approves the development despite Planning Staff's recommendation. There's nothing wildly out of character with what's been approved in the immediate area that would suggest Adam Vaughan wouldn't be behind this.

If they cut out the above 5 levels of above ground parking (same height as 9 residential floors), it seems like a lot of the issues with the podium would be be worked out. In addition, this decrease in height would make it more palatable to the city.

Of the elevation drawings in the report, the most interesting is the North Elevation, as it shows the heights of nearby buildings including Pinnacle on Adelaide, Festival Tower, and Cinema Tower.

LifetimeAdelaideNorthElevation.jpg

I like how they aren't maximizing the property lines which allows them to put glass around all sides of the tower. Kind of interesting. This development has a good distribution of dwelling units too. The above-ground parking garage is too bad, but I suppose that's a compromise. I can see that lot being well used considering its location.

Also, $2 million for John Street Corridor Improvements in section 37 money. Way to go, Adam.

The height of the building wasn't the issue so much as the podium. At the January 10th meeting, the developer addressed those concerns. The most recent submission includes a podium that relates better to the existing low rise buildings just to the west on the north side of Adelaide.

There is also to be office space available in the podium portion, and room for 84 public parking spaces. The height is set at 115 metres, which is well within the angular plane of diminishing building heights established for the area.

The re-zoning application for 288a, 290 and 294 Adelaide Street West was adopted by Toronto and East York community council last week with a $2-million Section 37 agreement. The application will be at council’s February 7 meeting for final approval. The amended Section 37 agreement adopted by community council, includes provisions to include at least 10 per cent of the total number of dwellings “as capable of being designed as three-bedroom” units. It also includes a $1.8-million contribution towards improvements to John Street as well as a $200,000 contribution toward a new park that is to be created on the TIFF block to commemorate the Irish fever. The park will be a companion piece to Ireland Park (on the waterfront at the foot of Bathurst). Apparently Irish sculptor Rowan Gillespie, who created the five bronze sculptures at Ireland park, has been commissioned to create a new piece of artwork in this new park .

Great news but I'm a little confused. As the Lightbox/Festival Tower complex takes up the entire block, where is the proposed park to be sited?

I read through the Entertainment District BIA master plan some time ago and I remember seeing a small parkette right behind Cinema Condos and fronting onto Adelaide. I'm not sure if this is the same concept going forward but I feel like it may be what they are referring too.

Back