News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 676     0 

The Big Bop shuts down (hideous purple building on Queen/Bathurst)

I was just there on Saturday night for the Subspace fetish party - it was jam packed with kinky peeps and the atmosphere was great. I had a lot of fun in that place for the last decade and a bit, so if that was my final visit, it was a good way to go out.

I should also add that there was a table set up selling "Bop Rocks" - chunks of the now-removed glossy purple bricks from the lower exterior of the facade...for 15 bucks each. It was laughable.

As a very nearby resident, I'm saddened to see the Big Bop go. It was a great stage (literally and figuratively) for music in Toronto. But it appears its time had come...

As others have mentioned, it's amazing how this blocks has recently changed or is about to change: new Starbucks across the street; Tim Horton's on the other side of Bathurst; Loblaws and Winners coming to Riocan site; new retail for the fire site; Leslieville Cheese and Healthy Butcher on the next block; modrobes store returning at Queen at Markham.

There's also Blvd Interiors furniture store across the street from the site which should benefit from the CB2 moving in.

Construction is beginning to get into full swing. I passed by today and heard loud sledge hammers inside. Sounds like they're tearing down walls.

584c1d86.gif

i wonder who the leasee is? its going to be a very big renovation from the looks of it.

The poor thing looks (and was) utterly neglected. I would love to see it fully restored to its 19th century glory - bring back the mansard roof!

One could only wish that it would be restored to something resembling the 19th century look.

Back