News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 666     1 

The best investment? Paying off your mortgage (G&M)

Member Bio
Reaction score
John Heinzl
Last updated on Wednesday, Sep. 23, 2009 07:00PM EDT

What if I told you there was an ultrasafe investment that paid 6 or 7 per cent annually, guaranteed? Would you be interested?
No, it's not a Ponzi scheme. It's not a stock, either. Neither is guaranteed, in case you needed any reminders after the past year.

And it's definitely not a guaranteed investment certificate. These days, you'd be lucky to earn half of that on a five-year GIC.
So what is this fabulous investment opportunity I'm talking about? It's paying off your mortgage.

I believe – and I know some of you will scoff at the notion, but hear me out – that paying off your mortgage is the best investment you could make. Period.

Why? Because, even with today's ultralow mortgage rates, it's almost impossible to find an investment that is guaranteed to yield a higher after-tax return than you'd get by paying your mortgage down – the key words here being guaranteed and after-tax .

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ment-paying-off-your-mortgage/article1297679/

this is a very thoughtful article, thank you for posting Yossi ... it very insightful and very true~

when mortgage rates are at its historic lows (like now), people tend to forget about the benefits of maximizing payments to make the 'most' out of their mortgage payments, instead I often see people just spending the extra $$ left over from their variable rate mortgage payment

I seem to have the best of both worlds. I've got the (now 1.35%) variable rate. But my payment amount was locked for 5-years, along with my mortgage ... and it was set at about 5.5% or so. So I'm being forced to pay off the mortgage ... about $130 of my payment every fortnight goes to interest, and $750 goes to principal! Cash flow is a bit tight ... and there's no way I'd be as good about paying it off as fast if the payment amount had dropped.

I guess I got lucky!

Age old debate - buying RRSPs vs paying down the mortgage. Many people see the home they own(well actually the bank) as just another investment vehicle. And we all know that a well-balanced investment portfolio is the best way to reduce risk.

Age old debate - buying RRSPs vs paying down the mortgage. Many people see the home they own(well actually the bank) as just another investment vehicle. And we all know that a well-balanced investment portfolio is the best way to reduce risk.

There really is no debate ... here's some free financial advice.

Maximize your RRSP contribution and use the tax refund towards your mortgage ... that way one benefits both ways.

Maximize your RRSP contribution and use the tax refund towards your mortgage ... that way one benefits both ways.

Agreed for most, this is true. But let's not be so bold as to assume this is true for all.

In my experience it was wise to live frugally for a number of years, save as much as possible, make a good downpayment, and structure the mortgage in such a way as it could be paid off as quickly as possible. Mortgage is debt, and debt restricts your freedom of choice, and once a mortgage is paid off every penny you earn is your own.

RRSP Mortgage

I have my entire mortgage in my RRSP (ie my RRSP backs my mortgage, interest paid to myself, principle goes from one pocket to another), due to the timing of it, was the best investment I ever made.

Last edited:

I don't think it's that clear cut. I agree with the thread, paying a mortgage is better than investing in RRSPs.

I suppose it depends on the individual and what their goals/needs are, but to make a blanket statement either way is just false.

Here's a couple of links..

http://www.aaron.ca/columns/2003-02-01.htm

http://www.trahair.com/images/CMS_Dont_invest_in_RRSP_article.pdf

I have my entire mortgage in my RRSP (ie my RRSP backs my mortgage, interest paid to myself, principle goes from one pocket to another), due to the timing of it, was the best investment I ever made.
Ah, that's an interesting set-up; something to consider when it's renewal time ... especially if interest rates are higher. Though to tell the truth, I'd be disappointed if my RRSP was only getting the 2-3% return that a mortgage is getting at the moment.

I commend his achievement but it's unrealistic for most people. Here's how he paid down his $180,000 mortgage in 5 years from the figures published in the article: - year 1: paid $15,400 mortgage payments; - year 2: paid $15,400 mortgage payments; - year 3: paid $15,400 mortgage payments; - year 4: paid $15,400 mortgage payments plus $27,000 lump sum payment; - year 5: paid $15,400 mortgage payments plus $108,000 lump sum payment. Based on these figures, he was able to allocate at least $42,400 towards his accomodations. If we use the conventional ratio of 32% gross income toward accomodation, then he makes an annual salary of $140,000. That's almost 3x the average FAMILY income. He bought in March 2001 with a purchase price of $274,000 so he bought a property 2x his income which is below the conventional 3x income ratio. Unfortunately the price of RE currently is 5x income. It would be wonderful if we all could buy a home for 2x income.
Submitted by gc at 4:15 PM Saturday, November 08 2008

Mortgage-free in five
TORONTO STAR

DONNA LAPORTE
REAL ESTATE REPORTER

Tharanga Ramanayake paid off a $180,000 mortgage in only five years.

He didn't win the lottery, he had no financial help from family or friends – and he's only 29.

So, how did he do it – two years ahead of his own seven-year plan?

Hard work, chutzpah, talent and determination.

When he was 9 years old, his family immigrated to Canada from Sri Lanka. Although his parents could have afforded a home in their native land, his father always chose to rent, Ramanayake says.

A successful record producer, his father eventually moved back to take care of his business, while mother and son stayed behind in Scarborough.

After Ramanayake's first year in Sheridan College's media arts program, he dropped out.

Intending to become a television editor, he began working part-time at Citytv. When an editing job opened up at Fashion Television, he landed it.

He was 19 years old.

He began saving his money, while living at home. His mother always dreamed of someone in the family owning real estate, having only ever rented herself, so she encouraged him to buy a condo.

In March 2001, he bought a 1,000-square-foot condo with two bedrooms, plus a den, at a CityPlace building and continued to save while it was being built.

Meanwhile, his career advanced quickly and with it, his salary climbed. He became a producer for the creative services department at Citytv, then moved to an advertising agency and eventually became a freelancer working on commercials for the past 1 1/2 years.

He uses the new buzzword title of "preditor," as his work vacillates between editing and producing.

Although he won't reveal what he makes, he says he reached a six-figure income about two years ago.

(While holding down various full-time positions, he also freelanced on other commercials at Citytv.)

"Last year I worked non-stop," he says. He has amassed 12 Promax marketing awards – 11 of those in the past year. (Promax awards are given by a panel of promotion and marketing professionals and are recognized as the highest recognition in the promotion and marketing field.) He also garnered a Gemini, Best Picture Editing in a Documentary Program or Series, for the documentary for Naked in the House.

And he owns a Guinness record for the world's shortest TV commercial, which lasts for one-sixtieth of a second.

He moved to his new condo in April 2003, and it registered on Oct. 1, 2003.

With a purchase price of $274,000, he put down $94,000 ($74,000 plus $20,000 from his RRSP, as a first-time homebuyer), leaving a mortgage of $180,000 – a healthy sum.

To tackle this, he opted for payments of $500 every two weeks, and a 15-year amortization schedule.

His bank also allowed him to pay an extra $200 per month. And, in the final year, he paid an additional $500 every two weeks.

In addition, his condo fees, which started around $370, grew to $550 monthly. Taxes are approximately $3,000 per year.

With such an outflow, you might think he would eat at home and bring his lunch.

Nope. "I do eat out a lot. I don't cook."

One look around his minimalist condo would suggest he only sleeps there, as nothing is out of place.

He doesn't drink coffee and admits to being only a social drinker.

"I don't have unnecessary expenses," he says.

Nor does he have cable television. Although he has to stay on top of entertainment, he prefers movies to theatre and avoids going to clubs.

He figures his biggest saving is in not having a car and working close to where he lives.

When asked whether he ever had the need for a roommate, he says, "Five years ago, with what I was making then, I was able to carry this without a problem."

So, his advice for those who aren't such high earners, is to go for the highest payments they can afford, because they'll pay less in interest over time.

As their income increases, they should pay the mortgage down, using terms available from their financial institution.

For example, he plunked down $27,000 a year ago. When the five-year mortgage was up recently, he paid off the remaining $108,000. Indeed, he could have paid it off two months earlier, but a three-month penalty applied, so he waited.

He knows he is not typical of young homebuyers, but still feels he has some lessons to impart.

"Have a goal and stick to it," he says.

A lot of people "upgrade" their lifestyles when their income increases, whereas he saved as much as he could.

"I didn't move. I didn't upgrade. I didn't go buy a penthouse."

Make sure you can carry the expenses on your current income. Overbidding during the real estate frenzy left some buyers house-poor.

He was so proud, he broadcast his success on Facebook.

"A few people thought it was egotistical to have it on my Facebook status, but hey, I was proud," he says. "I worked hard."

He says he could sell the condo before prices start to soften, but to rent a similar condo would cost $2,500 to $3,000 per month, or he'd have to compromise on space to live more cheaply.

Instead, he says he'll likely take advantage of any real estate correction and buy another property.

How proud are his parents, who have finally bought "an amazing and beautiful house" in Sri Lanka?

He hasn't told them yet.

Surprise!

that Star article doesn't give us the numbers we really need to know whether he was smart or not. What kind of mortgage and rate did he have? How was he able to save up $100,000, and where was it invested? He thinks he might rent out his current condo and buy another. In my experience, only multi-unit properties make good income producing investments. Renting out your condo gives only razer thin margins, if any at all, especially at today's prices.

His mother dreamed of someone in the family owning property. I thought the American (Canadian) dream was being able to achieve your potential, but has somehow been morphed into owning property (rather owning a mortgage).

If the real estate you own is income generating, you should be able to deduct mortgage interest, which needs to be considered in evaluating mortgage paydown vs. investing elsewhere.

The interest rate you decided to pay yourself varies. It would not be out of the realm to pay yourself 5+% for a 5 year term.

The mortgage allows you to 'overpay' into your RRSP. I.E, the interest payment does not count against your RRSP contributions. Also, once the period payment is made, the entire payment amount is then free to invest, tax free, in the market, where as the rest backing the mortgage is 'locked' in a cash positon,

Ah, that's an interesting set-up; something to consider when it's renewal time ... especially if interest rates are higher. Though to tell the truth, I'd be disappointed if my RRSP was only getting the 2-3% return that a mortgage is getting at the moment.

Back